Boston University Students Urge School to Cancel Robin Thicke's Concert
While some Boston University students are looking forward to attending Robin Thicke's concert at their school, some other are not. The members of the Humanists of Boston University have started a petition to have the show, which is scheduled to take place at the Agganis Arena on March 4, canceled by the school's officials.
"Having Thicke perform is a political statement that is out of touch with the realities of sexual violence and Boston University's own history," the group wrote on the Change.org petition. "Thus, we suggest that Robin Thicke's performance be canceled."
The group took issue with the lyrics and the controversial music video of Thicke's No. 1 song, "Blurred Lines". "Thicke's hit song, 'Blurred Lines', celebrates having sex with women against their will. Lyrics such as, 'I know you want it,' explicitly use non-consensual language. And while watching the extremely explicit video, the insinuations grow from subtle to explicit to obnoxious," they added.
A spokesman for Boston University, Colin Riley, has responded to the group's petition. "This is not a BU concert," he said. "This is Agganis Arena, one stop of a 16-show tour, for Robin Thicke to perform."
Riley also said that the show would likely go on as planned. "You're talking about a college campus where it's anathema to ban things," he explained. "We respect our students' views, but those are those students' views."
More Robin Thicke News
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce