Amy Adams on Philip Seymour Hoffman: 'He's a Beautiful Spirit'
Amy Adams tearfully paid tribute to her close friend Philip Seymour Hoffman during an appearance in "Inside the Actors Studio". Taped earlier this month, three days after Hoffman passed away, the footage which was aired on Wednesday, February 19 shows Adams wearing a brown top onstage while talking about the late star.
"You received your second Academy Award nomination for your performance as a young nun, Sister James in Doubt," the host James Lipton said. "We've arrived at a difficult moment, of course, for you, for me, for the craft that we love, for the world in which we live. Fourteen years ago, I brought Philip Seymour Hoffman to this stage with the prediction that he would become the greatest actor of his generation."
Adams, who started feeling emotional after Lipton mentioned Hoffman, replied, "Gosh, I wish you all could get the chance to work with him." Calling the father of three "a beautiful spirit" who "had this unique ability to see people, to really see them - not look through them - he just really saw people," the actress paused several times to control her emotion. "Sorry, I really... I just really loved him and I know so many people did. And I just don't know how much more I can talk about it right now. Sorry."
Adams, who worked with Hoffman in "Doubt", "Charlie Wilson's War" and "The Master", additionally praised the late star and Meryl Streep. "The things I value about actors, there's talent, there's skill, but without work ethic, without that generosity of spirit to take people with you on that brilliant journey that you take ... both Meryl and Philip have this ability to create ... it's transformative," she shared.
More Amy Adams News
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?
- 'World War Z 2' Will Likely Reunite David Fincher and Brad Pitt
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung