Lena Dunham Talks About Vogue Criticism: 'That Was Messed Up'
Lena Dunham finally spoke up following controversy about her photo on the cover of Vogue in an interview with Bill Simmons, published on Thursday, February 20. Last month, feminist site Jezebel offered a reward for unedited photos of the "Girls" creator from the magazine and in the new interview, she slammed the site's action.
"That was messed up," she said. "I think Jezebel can be really smart and funny, but once you've been attacked in that way it's hard to enjoy. It's hard to enjoy once you feel like they've made such a monumental error in their approach to feminism."
"I was kind of scared to see the un-retouched images of me, I was like, maybe I'm delusional and I don't look how I think I look. And it was like - they smoothed a line here, and shaved a line on my neck. It was the most minimal retouching," she continued. "I felt completely respected by Vogue. I felt like thank you for removing the one line from my face because I'm 27 years old and shouldn't have that there, I appreciate this."
"Instead of going like, 'Hey, we kinda f***ed up, these pictures aren't that retouched Lena, enjoy the Vogue spread that you've been excited about since you were eight years old,' they were like, 'She's not retouched, but she could've been.' It was this weird almost political maneuvering that I just had a lot of trouble respecting," Dunham added.
More Lena Dunham News
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed