Gawker Files Motion to Dismiss Quentin Tarantino's Lawsuit
Gawker is seeking dismissal of Quentin Tarantino's lawsuit filed against Gawker Media Group, Inc. in California over the leak of his script for upcoming movie "The Hateful Eight". The defendant argues the court does not have jurisdiction over it because it's based in Cayman Islands.
Tarantino sues GMGI over an article on their website Defamer that included a link to download his script. The "Django Unchained" helmer says, "Gawker Media crossed the journalistic line by promoting itself to the public as the first source to read the entire screenplay illegally."
Gawker responds, "This Court lacks personal jurisdiction over [Gawker Media Group, Inc.], a Cayman Islands corporation which is not subject to general jurisdiction because it does not have any continuous and systematic contacts with California and is not subject to specific jurisdiction because it does not publish the website at issue in plaintiff's Complaint and was not involved in any way with the researching, writing, editing, or publishing of the article that is the subject of plaintiff's Complaint."
Neither Gawker Media nor Gawker Entertainment is contesting personal jurisdiction. However, they note that Gawker Entertainment was dissolved as a company in 2013, and "counsel for the parties have reached an agreement that Gawker Entertainment, LLC is not a proper party to this action."
Before filing the motion for dismissal, Gawker fired back at Tarantino suggesting he brought the wide leak upon himself. The company called him out for allegedly pulling a "shrewd publicity strategy" that turned "The Hateful Eight" leak into a topic of intense news interest.
- Katy Perry Breaks Silence on Orlando Bloom's Nude Photos, Claims He Tried to Get Her Naked Too
- 'Big Bang Theory' Star Johnny Galecki's House Burns Down in California Massive Fire
- Iron Man Slips Into His Upgraded Armor in New 'Avengers: Infinity War' Set Photos
- 'The Lowe Files' Teaser Sees Rob Lowe and Sons Delving Into Unsolved Mysteries
- Rita Ora Flashes Thong in Sheer Red Dress
- Iggy Azalea Claps Back After Halsey Called Her 'Moron': 'I Don't Know Her'
- James Harden Realizes His Big Crush on Nicki Minaj After Giving Her Thirsty Stare at NBA Awards
- Michelle Rodriguez Threatens to Quit 'Fast and Furious' Franchise Over Its Depiction of Women