Gawker Files Motion to Dismiss Quentin Tarantino's Lawsuit
Gawker is seeking dismissal of Quentin Tarantino's lawsuit filed against Gawker Media Group, Inc. in California over the leak of his script for upcoming movie "The Hateful Eight". The defendant argues the court does not have jurisdiction over it because it's based in Cayman Islands.
Tarantino sues GMGI over an article on their website Defamer that included a link to download his script. The "Django Unchained" helmer says, "Gawker Media crossed the journalistic line by promoting itself to the public as the first source to read the entire screenplay illegally."
Gawker responds, "This Court lacks personal jurisdiction over [Gawker Media Group, Inc.], a Cayman Islands corporation which is not subject to general jurisdiction because it does not have any continuous and systematic contacts with California and is not subject to specific jurisdiction because it does not publish the website at issue in plaintiff's Complaint and was not involved in any way with the researching, writing, editing, or publishing of the article that is the subject of plaintiff's Complaint."
Neither Gawker Media nor Gawker Entertainment is contesting personal jurisdiction. However, they note that Gawker Entertainment was dissolved as a company in 2013, and "counsel for the parties have reached an agreement that Gawker Entertainment, LLC is not a proper party to this action."
Before filing the motion for dismissal, Gawker fired back at Tarantino suggesting he brought the wide leak upon himself. The company called him out for allegedly pulling a "shrewd publicity strategy" that turned "The Hateful Eight" leak into a topic of intense news interest.
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures
- Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston Sings Blake Shelton's Song While Face-Swapping With Him
- Comic-Con: Check Out Trailers for 'Flash' Season 3, 'Arrow' Season 5 and 'Legends' Season 2
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard