Gawker Files Motion to Dismiss Quentin Tarantino's Lawsuit
Gawker is seeking dismissal of Quentin Tarantino's lawsuit filed against Gawker Media Group, Inc. in California over the leak of his script for upcoming movie "The Hateful Eight". The defendant argues the court does not have jurisdiction over it because it's based in Cayman Islands.
Tarantino sues GMGI over an article on their website Defamer that included a link to download his script. The "Django Unchained" helmer says, "Gawker Media crossed the journalistic line by promoting itself to the public as the first source to read the entire screenplay illegally."
Gawker responds, "This Court lacks personal jurisdiction over [Gawker Media Group, Inc.], a Cayman Islands corporation which is not subject to general jurisdiction because it does not have any continuous and systematic contacts with California and is not subject to specific jurisdiction because it does not publish the website at issue in plaintiff's Complaint and was not involved in any way with the researching, writing, editing, or publishing of the article that is the subject of plaintiff's Complaint."
Neither Gawker Media nor Gawker Entertainment is contesting personal jurisdiction. However, they note that Gawker Entertainment was dissolved as a company in 2013, and "counsel for the parties have reached an agreement that Gawker Entertainment, LLC is not a proper party to this action."
Before filing the motion for dismissal, Gawker fired back at Tarantino suggesting he brought the wide leak upon himself. The company called him out for allegedly pulling a "shrewd publicity strategy" that turned "The Hateful Eight" leak into a topic of intense news interest.
More Quentin Tarantino News
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'