Kevin Hart, Ice Cube and Director Tim Story Return for 'Ride Along 2'
"Ride Along 2" is officially confirmed. Lead actors Kevin Hart and Ice Cube will reprise their respective roles as a rookie cop and his brother-in-law. Director Tim Story from the first movie is also set to return to his post behind the lens.
Phil Hay and Matt Manfredi are back to write the script for the sequel as well. The second film eyes a late June or early July start date. The plotline is still scarce, but Deadline reports it's expected to be "more multi-cultural" to expand the demos.
Coming out January 17 in the United States, the first "Ride Along" movie entered box office with a record-breaking debut. Revolving around the hilarious story of the rookie cop trying to impress his girlfriend's brother, it posted the biggest opening ever for the long MLK weekend.
It opened to $41.5 million over the normal Friday-to-Sunday weekend and reached $48.6 million over the four-day Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend that included Monday. It surpassed previous record holder "Cloverfield" which nabbed $40.1 million for three-day gross and $46.1 million for four-day haul back in 2008.
The cop comedy still stays at the top 10 after four weeks in the market, currently sitting at the sixth place over the Valentine's Day weekend. Costing a modest $25 million to produce, it has so far crossed the $100 million mark worldwide and still counting.
Hart has just released rom-com "About Last Night". Although it's only a remake of the 1986 film, it still managed to rake in a nice $27 million and received an A- from CinemaScore. It debuted at No. 2, further showing the actor's power as a box-office draw. His upcoming movie is "Think Like a Man Too", while Cube will next appear in "22 Jump Street".
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show