Kate Middleton and Queen Elizabeth II Welcome Stars to Buckingham Palace
Kate Middleton and Queen Elizabeth II greeted some screen and stage actors including Helen Mirren at the Buckingham Palace on Monday, February 17. The reception was a celebration of the Queen's 60 years as patron of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and the wider contribution that the dramatic arts make to national life.
Wearing a red Alexander McQueen dress which she first wore at the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant in 2012, the Duchess of Cambridge styled her hair loose. She also wore Prada shoes, held an Anya Hindmarch "Maud" clutch and sported Cassandra Goad "Temple of Heaven" earrings while greeting the guests. The Queen opted for a blue dress that night.
In addition to Mirren, who played Queen Elizabeth II in 2006's "The Queen", the event was attended by other stars such as Uma Thurman, Hugh Laurie, Helena Bonham Carter, Joan Collins, Joely Richardson, Gemma Arterton, Roger Moore, Steve McQueen, Harvey Weinstein, Ralph Fiennes, and Angela Lansbury. The guests later watched short performances in the Ballroom.
"My husband called you granny last night," the Duchess told Mirren, referring to the BAFTAS on Sunday where Prince William presented a fellowship to the actress. "How delightful she was. Very sweet," Mirren recalled, as reported by U.K.'s The Telegraph.
When asked if she was star-struck, Mirren said, "Of course, even more so I think because I feel self-conscious, you know." She added, "I am genuinely always astounded by her aura, her twinkle, her presence. It never fails to surprise me and again it's what everyone says when they meet her - it was what overwhelmed me the first time I met her." Thurman additionally said of the experience, "It's such a privilege, such an honor. I am chuffed and overwhelmed."
More Kate Middleton News
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered
- Wham! and Chris Martin Pay Tribute to George Michael at BRIT Awards
- Tom Cruise Reportedly Ready to Reconnect With Daughter Suri After Years Apart
- Hugh Jackman Rules Out Wolverine/Deadpool Movie
- 'Glee' Alum Lauren Potter's Engagement Called Off