'Guardians of the Galaxy' Debuts New Stills Ahead of Trailer Premiere
Three new stills for "Guardians of the Galaxy" have been released to tide fans over before the first trailer premieres Tuesday night, February 18 on "Jimmy Kimmel Live!". They arrive via USA Today which also reveals details of the plotline and the backstory of Peter Quill a.k.a. Star-Lord.
One pic sees the whole crew, Gamora (Zoe Saldana), Groot (Vin Diesel), Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper), Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista), and their leader Star-Lord (Chris Pratt). Another shows the Milano, the Guardians' muscle car of a spacecraft, flying high over Xandar, the home of the Nova Corps, and the other image focuses on Star-Lord alone.
Quill was taken from Earth as a 9-year-old, possesses a mysterious orb artifact, and pilots the Milano. His path crosses with the other four in the space prison Kyln.
After breaking out from the jail, they venture to Knowhere, the severed head of a celestial being that serves as a hangout for aliens, and visit the weird menagerie of the Collector (Benicio Del Toro). They also have to avoid two villains, Ronan (Lee Pace) and Nebula (Karen Gillan), who are in hot pursuit of Quill's orb, which has the power to destroy the galaxy.
"Being stuck in space with no accountability makes for a strange combination of youthful vibrancy and cluelessness in a childlike man," says Pratt of his character. "He does some things that most people wouldn't get away with. But part of his arc is being willing to essentially sacrifice himself for the greater good of other people."
The actor promises that the movie will be a fresh diversion for superhero junkies. "They know what to expect at every turn. So that's why it's important now to do a comic-book movie that no one's ever seen before," he explains. "There's a whole lot to this movie - it's not a stage play. You couldn't make Guardians of the Galaxy the play and put it on Broadway. It really wouldn't work."
Directed and written by James Gunn, the film will be released in the United States on August 1 in 3D.
More Guardians of the Galaxy News
- Angelina Jolie Backtracks Her Comment After She's Warned to Stop Trashing Brad Pitt
- Never-Before-Seen Footage of Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Surfaces
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Confirm Return for 'DWTS' Season 24
- Katy Perry Goes to 'Oblivia' Theme Park in 'Chained to the Rhythm' Music Video
- 'Hellboy 3' Is Dead, Director Guillermo Del Toro Says
- 'InHumans' Announces 'Game of Thrones' Alum as Maximus
- Hoda Kotb Introduces Newly-Adopted Daughter, Explains Baby's Name
- Karrueche Tran Accuses Chris Brown of Domestic Violence, Files for Restraining Order