Chris Evans Named 2014 Daytona 500 Grand Marshal
Chris Evans will take his time off from fighting against evil enemies as Captain America to be the Grand Marshal for the 56th Annual Daytona 500 series race. The actor has been tapped to tackle the duty for the famous motor race event set to take place Sunday, February 23 this year.
"What better way to kick-off 'The Great American Race' than with Captain America, Chris Evans, giving the command to start engines?" says Daytona International Speedway president Joie Chitwood III. "We look forward to having him be a part of our pre-race ceremonies in front of more than 100,000 race fans in attendance and millions more watching on Fox as we launch the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season."
Like previous Grand Marshals, Evans will have a chance to give his take on the signature command "Drivers, start your engines." The 32-year-old hunk will also participate in pre-race ceremonies.
The Cap of "Captain America: The First Avenger" and Marvel's "The Avengers" movies joins actors John Travolta, Ben Affleck, Nicolas Cage, Matthew McConaughey and most recently James Franco who have assumed the same duty.
Evans' new movie "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" will open in theaters across the U.S. on April 4. It sees the superhero teaming up with Black Widow in present-day Washington, D.C. to fight off a shadowy enemy.
More Chris Evans News
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.14 Preview: An Ambush
- Angelina Jolie's Ambition to Become a Head of the UN Might Cause Split From Brad Pitt
- Taylor Swift Debuts New Haircut, Parties With Gwyneth Paltrow, Mick Jagger at Liberty Ross' Birthday
- Watch Performances From Rihanna, Demi Lovato, Chris Martin and More at Global Citizen Festival 2016
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.02 Preview Promises Revelation of the Saviors' Secret
- Did Faith Evans Just Expose Her Vagina in Front of the Crowd? See the Evidence!
- 'Magnificent Seven' Debuts Strong on Domestic Box Office, 'Bridget Jones's Baby' Tops Overseas
- Josh Brolin Ties the Knot With Longtime Girlfriend Kathryn Boyd. See the Photos