'Black Coal, Thin Ice' and 'Grand Budapest Hotel' Win at 2014 Berlin Film Fest
Berlin International Film Festival announces 2014 winners. Chinese thriller "Black Coal, Thin Ice" grabs Golden Bear Best Film, while Wes Anderson's "The Grand Budapest Hotel" picks up Silver Bear for Jury Grand Prix. "Black Coal" cast member Liao Fan additionally wins Best Actor.
"Black Coal" follows an overweight detective on the trail of a serial killer. "It's really hard to believe this dream has come true," director Diao Yinan said as he was stunned by his win. Last year's big winner was Romanian film "Child's Pose".
Best Actress, meanwhile, goes to Japanese star Haru Kuroki for "The Little House". Richard Linklater manages to take home Best Director for "Boyhood". The film is also the winner for Prize of The Guild of German Art House Cinemas. As for Audience Award, it is awarded to Ethiopian movie "Difret".
The 64th Berlin International Film Festival ran for 11 days from February 6 to 16. Around 400 films have been screened at the event, with 23 of them in the competition category. On Friday, British director Ken Loach was presented with an Honorary Golden Bear.
- Golden Bear Best Film: "Black Coal, Thin Ice" by Diao Yinan
- Jury Grand Prix (Silver Bear): "The Grand Budapest Hotel" by Wes Anderson
- Alfred Bauer Prize (Silver Bear): "Life of Riley" by Alain Resnais
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Richard Linklater for "Boyhood"
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Haru Kuroki for "The Little House"
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Liao Fan for "Black Coal, Thin Ice"
- Silver Bear for Best Script: "Stations of the Cross" by Dietrich Bruggemann
- Silver Bear for Outstanding Artistic Contribution for Cinematography: "Blind Massage" by Lou Ye
- Golden Bear Best Short Film: "As Long As Shotguns Remain" by Caroline Poggi, Jonathan Vinel
- Silver Bear Jury Prize Short Film: "Laborat" by Guillaume Cailleau
- Best First Feature: "Gueros" by Alonso Ruizpalacios
- Audience Award - Fiction: 1st Place: "Difret" - Ethiopia by Zeresenay Berhane Mehari
- Audience Award - Documentary: 1st Place: "Der Kreis" (The Circle) - Switzerland by Stefan Haupt
2nd Place: "Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho" (The Way He Looks) - Brazil by Daniel Ribeiro
3rd Place: "Patardzlebi" (Brides) - Georgia / France by Tinatin Kajrishvili
2nd Place: "Finding Vivian Maier" - USA by John Maloof & Charlie Siskel
3rd Place: "My Mother, A War and Me" - Germany by Tamara Trampe & Johann Feindt
- Crystal Bear for the Best Film: "Killa" - India by Avinash Arun
- Special Mention: "Hitono Nozomino Yorokobiyo" - Japan by Masakazu Sugita
- Crystal Bear for the Best Short Film: "Sprout" - Republic of Korea by Ga-eun Yoon
- Special Mention: "Sepatu Baru" - Indonesia by Aditya Ahmad
- Grand Prize: "Ciencias Naturales" - Argentina/France by Matias Lucchesi
- Special Mention: "Killa" - India by Avinash Arun
- Best Short Film: "Moy Lichniy Los'" - Russian Federation by Leonid Shmelkov
- Special Mention: "el" - Hungary by Roland Ferge
- Crystal Bear for the Best Film: "52 Tuesdays" - Australia by Sophie Hyde
- Special Mention: "artico" - Spain by Gabri Velazquez
- Crystal Bear for the Best Short Film: "Mike" - Great Britain by Petros Silvestros
- Special Mention: "Emo" (The Musical) - Australia by Neil Triffett
- Grand Prize: "Violet" - Belgium / Netherlands by Bas Devos
- Special Mention: "Einstein and Einstein" - People's Republic of China by Cao Baoping
- Special Prize for the best short film: "Vetrarmorgun" - Faroe Islands by Sakaris Stora
- Special Mention: "Son" - Denmark by Kristoffer Kiorboe
- Competition: "Stations of the Cross" by Dietrich Bruggemann
- Special Mention: "'71" by Yann Demange
- Panorama: "Calvary" by John Michael McDonagh
- Special Mention: "Triptych" by Robert Lepage, Pedro Pires
- Forum: "At Home" by Athanasios Karanikolas
- Winner: "The Square" by Jehane Noujaim
- Winner: "Anywhere Else" by Ester Amrami
- Special Mention: "fog" by Nicole Vogele
- Winner: "Boyhood" by Richard Linklater
- Panorama: "The Lamb" by Kutlug Ataman
- Forum: "She's Lost Control" by Anja Marquardt
Winner: "A Dream of Iron" by Kelvin Kyung Kun Park tied with "Non-Fiction Diary" by Jung Yoon-suk
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy
- Is Ben Affleck Done Playing Batman? WB Reportedly Plans His Exit
- Is Meek Mill Finally Ready to End Longtime Feud With Drake?
- This Transgender Performer Suggests She Had an Affair With Kanye West
- Block B's U-Kwon Tells a Fan She Looks Like Crap
- Louis Tomlinson Says His Mom's Dying Wish Was for Him to Reconcile With Zayn Malik