Writer Accuses Showtime of Allegedly Stealing 'Ray Donovan' Concept
With the success of "Ray Donovan", comes a lawsuit. Showtime has been accused of stealing a concept for the crime drama series by writer Brian Larsen. The plaintiff claims he pitched a script titled "The Swissman" to the network in 2010 which had some similarities to the Liev Schreiber starrer, but it was eventually passed on.
According to Larsen, his concept centered on a "middle aged protagonist who is a 'fixer' - also known as a man who orchestrates the killing or otherwise violent disposing of people for hire." The protagonist had a brother who is always messing up, had a "tumultuous" relationship with his father, and had a troubled relationship with a Catholic priest.
Larsen further claims that his character dealt with a moral conflict over killing people and doing the right thing. Another similarity between his idea and "Ray Donovan" that he points out in the lawsuit is that there's an intersection of the fixer's personal life and professional life.
Larsen is seeking an injunction to stop the show's production and wide ranging but unspecified damages of more than $25,000. He claims the series has "enriched Defendants to the tune of millions of dollars."
Showtime refuses to comment on the lawsuit. A representative for the network says, "As Showtime has not been served with this lawsuit, we have no comment."
"Ray Donovan" is currently in the middle of production of its second season, which is slated to premiere in summer.
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen