Ellen Page Comes Out of the Closet
Ellen Page has come out of the closet. The actress opened up about her sexual preference in a personal speech at a Time to THRIVE conference which took place at Bally's Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. "I'm here today because I am gay," the star of "X Men: Days of Future Past" told the audience, as quoted by The Hollywood Reporter.
"And because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility," she said at the conference which promotes the welfare of LGBT youth.
"I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission. I suffered for years because I was scared to be out. My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered and my relationships suffered. And I'm standing here today, with all of you, on the other side of all that pain," she continued, adding that being in limelight contributed to the inner struggle.
"It's weird because here I am, an actress, representing - at least in some sense - an industry that places crushing standards on all of us. Not just young people, but everyone. Standards of beauty. Of a good life. Of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me," the "Juno" star stated. "You have ideas planted in your head, thoughts you never had before, that tell you how you have to act, how you have to dress and who you have to be. I have been trying to push back, to be authentic, to follow my heart, but it can be hard."
After making the speech, the 26-year-old actress took to Twitter to thank everyone for the support. "Thank you @HRC and everyone for all the love and support. X," she wrote.
- Jay-Z Is Producing a Series About Trayvon Martin
- Pamela Anderson Storms Off TV Set After Being Offended by an Old School Photo
- Mariah Carey Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skintight Dress
- Selena Gomez Shares Message of Empowerment to High School Students During Surprise Visit
- Animated 'KUWTK' Series Is on the Way
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction
- Is Amber Rose Into a Woman Now? Model Sparks Rumors She's Hooking Up With Teyana Taylor