Ellen Page Comes Out of the Closet
Ellen Page has come out of the closet. The actress opened up about her sexual preference in a personal speech at a Time to THRIVE conference which took place at Bally's Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. "I'm here today because I am gay," the star of "X Men: Days of Future Past" told the audience, as quoted by The Hollywood Reporter.
"And because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility," she said at the conference which promotes the welfare of LGBT youth.
"I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission. I suffered for years because I was scared to be out. My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered and my relationships suffered. And I'm standing here today, with all of you, on the other side of all that pain," she continued, adding that being in limelight contributed to the inner struggle.
"It's weird because here I am, an actress, representing - at least in some sense - an industry that places crushing standards on all of us. Not just young people, but everyone. Standards of beauty. Of a good life. Of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me," the "Juno" star stated. "You have ideas planted in your head, thoughts you never had before, that tell you how you have to act, how you have to dress and who you have to be. I have been trying to push back, to be authentic, to follow my heart, but it can be hard."
After making the speech, the 26-year-old actress took to Twitter to thank everyone for the support. "Thank you @HRC and everyone for all the love and support. X," she wrote.
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3