Rosie O'Donnell Lost 40 lbs. Following Life-Saving Surgery
Rosie O'Donnell revealed during a Go Red luncheon on Friday, February 14 that she underwent a vertical gastric sleeve surgery to save her life. The talk show host attended the Detroit event sponsored by the American Heart Association to announce that she has lost 40 lbs. since the procedure was done.
"I did it to save my life," she said according to People. The 51-year-old had a life-threatening attack in 2012 when 99 percent of her LAD artery was blocked. The kind of heart attack is often lethal and O'Donnell said she was very lucky to have survived it. Since then, she went through a lifestyle change by starting a healthy diet and exercise. She reduced the intake of red meat, sugar and carbohydrates in hope to go under 200 lbs.
However, her health did not improve that much so she opted for surgery. "She tried to lose weight on her own but it wasn't working," her spokesperson Cindi Berger told People, adding, "It was a life saving surgery. But it's only a tool, not a cure."
The surgical weight-loss procedure removed 80 percent of the patient's stomach. O'Donnell has gone from 230 lbs. to 190 lbs. since July 2013.
More Rosie O'Donnell News
- Mick Jagger, 73, Welcomes Baby Boy With 30-Year-Old Girlfriend Melanie Hamrick
- Watch 'Carpool Karaoke' With Madonna and Find Out Juicy Detail of Her Night Out With Michael Jackson
- Major Lazer Mashes Up Biggest Hits of the Year for YouTube Rewind 2016 Video
- John Cena Promises to Destroy 'Saturday Night Live' in New Promo
- Katy Perry Joins Jennifer Aniston at 'Office Christmas Party' L.A. Premiere
- Kardashian Sisters Try to Block Blac Chyna From Trademarking Their Family Name. How She Reacts?
- Nick Cannon Hits Back at Dane Cook Who Shamed Him for Wearing Turban
- Johnny Depp Dubbed Hollywood's Most Overpaid Actor Again by Forbes