'12 Years a Slave' Dominates Winner List of Black Reel Awards
"12 Years a Slave" was a big winner at the 14th Annual Black Reel Awards held Thursday, February 13 in Washington D.C. The slavery drama bagged eight prizes, including the coveted Outstanding Motion Picture award.
Lead star Chiwetel Ejiofor won the Outstanding Actor. He brought home another trophy, Outstanding TV Movie Actor, through his role on BBC's "Dancing on Edge". His co-star Lupita Nyong'o also earned two: Outstanding Supporting Actress and Outstanding Breakthrough Performance, Female.
Steve McQueen, the man behind the historical drama, was awarded with Outstanding Director, while John Ridley won Outstanding Screenplay. The movie got two other prizes in Outstanding Ensemble and Outstanding Score (Hans Zimmer) categories.
"The fact that in one of the strongest years for Black film in recent memory, one film was able to be so dominant is a testament to the vision of Steve McQueen, the screenplay by John Ridley and the fantastic performances of the trio of actors led by Chiwetel Ejiofor and Lupita Nyong'o," said Black Reel Awards creator and Executive Director, Tim Gordon. "This will be a year no one forgets."
Danai Gurira ("Mother of George") was named Outstanding Actress, while Barkhad Abdi ("Captain Phillips") took home the Outstanding Supporting Actor and Outstanding Breakthrough Performance, Male prizes. Documentary "Twenty Feet from Stardom" was another winner with two gongs.
- Outstanding Motion Picture: "12 Years a Slave"
- Outstanding Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor, "12 Years a Slave"
- Outstanding Actress: Danai Gurira, "Mother of George"
- Outstanding Supporting Actor: Barkhad Abdi, "Captain Phillips"
- Outstanding Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave"
- Outstanding Director: Steve McQueen, "12 Years a Slave"
- Outstanding Screenplay: John Ridley, "12 Years a Slave"
- Outstanding Documentary: "Twenty Feet from Stardom"
- Outstanding Ensemble: "12 Years a Slave"
- Outstanding Foreign Film: "War Witch" (Canada)
- Outstanding Score: Hans Zimmer, "12 Years a Slave"
- Outstanding Original Song: "Desperation" by Judith Hill, "Twenty Feet from Stardom"
- Outstanding Breakthrough Performance, Male: Barkhad Abdi, "Captain Phillips"
- Outstanding Breakthrough Performance, Female: Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave"
- Outstanding Voice Performance: Samuel L. Jackson, "Turbo"
- Outstanding Independent Feature: "Blue Caprice"
- Outstanding Independent Documentary: "The New Black"
- Outstanding Independent Short: "Black Girl in Paris"
- Outstanding Television Documentary: "Whoopi Goldberg Presents Moms Mabley"
- Outstanding TV Movie or Mini-Series: "Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth"
- Outstanding TV Movie Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor, "Dancing on Edge"
- Outstanding TV Movie Actress: Anika Noni Rose, "The Watsons Go to Birmingham"
- Outstanding Supporting Actor, TV Movie: Omari Hardwick, "Being Mary Jane"
- Outstanding Supporting Actress, TV Movie: Octavia Spencer, "Call Me Crazy: A Five Film"
- Outstanding Director, TV Movie: Spike Lee, "Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth"
- Outstanding Screenplay, TV Movie: Mara Brock Akil, "Being Mary Jane"
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage
- Pennywise the Clown Preys on Kids in 'It' Teaser Trailer
- Portia de Rossi Wants Ellen DeGeneres to Enter Rehab
- Kelly Ripa Involved in Drug Overdose Scandal
- Justin Timberlake Teases His Upcoming Collab With Timbaland and Pharrell