'The Waltons' Star Ralph Waite Dies at 85
Actor Ralph Waite who played heartwarming father figure on 1970s TV series "The Waltons" has passed away. He was 85. According to Desert Sun, Waite died at his home in South Palm Desert, Calif. on Thursday, February 13 at about 11 A.M.
Waite's longtime friend Jerry Preece told the news outlet that he just arrived at the actor's house when he saw ambulances and Waite's wife Linda. "She just told me she thought he'd passed," Preece said. "We had talked a lot about it...he had been ill on and off lately and had a couple of spells in the hospitals. Everything was just wearing out," Preece continued, adding that Waite died of a "tired heart."
Throughout his career, Waite was nominated for Emmy awards for his role as Strikes on "Roots" and "The Waltons". His most recent TV credits included "NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service" where he played Mark Harmon's on-screen father Jackson Gibbs. He also took part on "Grey's Anatomy", "Days of Our Lives" and "Bones".
In addition to TV appearances and Broadway roles, Waite took roles in movies such as "Cool Hand Luke", "Five Easy Piece" and "Last Summer". He also played the father of Kevin Costner's character in "The Bodyguard".
Waite is survived by his wife Linda, two daughters and a stepson.
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media