'The Waltons' Star Ralph Waite Dies at 85
Actor Ralph Waite who played heartwarming father figure on 1970s TV series "The Waltons" has passed away. He was 85. According to Desert Sun, Waite died at his home in South Palm Desert, Calif. on Thursday, February 13 at about 11 A.M.
Waite's longtime friend Jerry Preece told the news outlet that he just arrived at the actor's house when he saw ambulances and Waite's wife Linda. "She just told me she thought he'd passed," Preece said. "We had talked a lot about it...he had been ill on and off lately and had a couple of spells in the hospitals. Everything was just wearing out," Preece continued, adding that Waite died of a "tired heart."
Throughout his career, Waite was nominated for Emmy awards for his role as Strikes on "Roots" and "The Waltons". His most recent TV credits included "NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service" where he played Mark Harmon's on-screen father Jackson Gibbs. He also took part on "Grey's Anatomy", "Days of Our Lives" and "Bones".
In addition to TV appearances and Broadway roles, Waite took roles in movies such as "Cool Hand Luke", "Five Easy Piece" and "Last Summer". He also played the father of Kevin Costner's character in "The Bodyguard".
Waite is survived by his wife Linda, two daughters and a stepson.
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie