Court Filings Reveal Rihanna Lost $9 Million in 2009
Rihanna was in deep financial trouble in 2009. According to new court filings which are submitted to the Manhattan Federal court in connection to a 2012 lawsuit against her accountant, Rihanna was "effectively bankrupt" that year because of bad advice from her accountant.
As reported by New York Daily News, RiRi had $11 million that year but she only had $2 million left in the end of the year. Rihanna, whose real name is Robyn Fenty, claimed that accountant Peter Gounis of Berdon LLP recommended she purchase a $7.5 million Beverly Hills mansion in 2009 and she obliged.
"Mr. Gounis advised Ms. Fenty that she could afford to purchase [the home] at a time when Ms. Fenty was in financial dismay. In 2009, Ms. Fenty was 'running out of cash' and Mr. Gounis knew this," the documents read. "Ms. Fenty's accounts were so diminished that requested wire transfers would not go through. In fact, Ms. Fenty was effectively bankrupt at the end of 2009."
"Mr. Gounis was fully apprised of Ms. Fenty's financial condition, yet, nonetheless, failed to advise her that the purchase would be unwise. In fact, in or around March 2009, defendants advised Ms. Fenty by email that purchasing a home in Los Angeles 'would be a good investment,' " the documents continued. Rihanna eventually was forced to sell it with $2 million loss.
In addition to the house issue, Rihanna claimed that the accountant did not give her a heads up when her 2009's "Last Girl on Earth Tour" was losing money. In response to the claims, the firm's lawyer Thomas Manisero stated on Wednesday, February 12 that they were not true. "These allegations are false. Berdon acted properly concerning Ms. Fenty's affairs," he said.
More Rihanna News
- Queen Elizabeth Visits Victims of Manchester Attack in Hospital
- 'Wonder Woman' Women-Only Screening Enrages Male Fans
- T.I.'s Alleged Side Chick Bernice Burgos Reportedly Wants to Have Baby With Him
- Katy Perry Tears Up as She Pays Tribute to Manchester Bombing Victims at London Gig
- Rosario Dawson in Talks for 'X-Men: New Mutants', Two Others Eyed to Play Mirage
- Sophia Bush Exits 'Chicago P.D.' After Four Seasons
- Niall Horan Promises One Direction Reunion, With Zayn Malik
- Bella Thorne Says Cannes 'Isn't for Me' as Scott Disick Ditches Her for Ex Chloe Bartoli