Drake Calls Macklemore's Grammy Apology Text to Kendrick Lamar 'Wack as F**k'
Drake is not impressed with Macklemore's decision to publicly share an apology text he sent to Kendrick Lamar after winning the Best Rap Album award at the Grammys last month. In a new interview with Rolling Stone, the Toronto native called the "Thrift Shop" rapper's gesture "wack as f**k."
"I was like, 'You won. Why are you posting your text message? Just chill. Take your W, and if you feel you didn't deserve it, go get better - make better music,' " he told the magazine. "It felt cheap. It didn't feel genuine. Why do that? Why feel guilt? You think those guys would pay homage to you if they won?"
He went on saying that the Grammy trophies didn't always go to the best artists in the music industry. "This is how the world works: He made a brand of music that appealed to more people than me, [Jay-Z], [Kanye West] and Kendrick. Whether people wanna say it's racial, or whether it's just the fact that he tapped into something we can't tap into. That's just how the cards fall. Own your s**t," he continued.
At the Grammys, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' debut LP "The Heist" was nominated in Best Rap Album category alongside Lamar's "good kid, m.A.A.d city", Drake's "Nothing Was the Same", Jay-Z's "Magna Carta... Holy Grail" and West's "Yeezus".
"To name just Kendrick? That s**t made me feel funny. No, in that case, you robbed everybody. We all need text messages!" Drake added.
Despite winning the Best Rap Album award and beating the likes of Jay-Z and West, Macklemore thought that the trophy should have belonged to Lamar. He then sent the Compton MC a text message that read, "You got robbed. I wanted you to win. You should have. It's weird and sucks that I robbed you. I was gonna say that during the speech. Then the music started playing during my speech, and I froze."
The musician, whose real name is Ben Haggerty, then took a screen shot of the message and posted it on his Instagram. "My text to Kendrick after the show. He deserved best rap album," he captioned the pic.
While some rappers agreed that Macklemore didn't deserve the award, Lamar had his own opinion. In a recent interview with XXL, he said of Macklemore's win, "It's well deserved; he did what he did, man. He went out there and hustled and grinded. Everything happens for a reason; the universe comes back around, that's how it go."
More Drake News
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says