Drake Calls Macklemore's Grammy Apology Text to Kendrick Lamar 'Wack as F**k'
Drake is not impressed with Macklemore's decision to publicly share an apology text he sent to Kendrick Lamar after winning the Best Rap Album award at the Grammys last month. In a new interview with Rolling Stone, the Toronto native called the "Thrift Shop" rapper's gesture "wack as f**k."
"I was like, 'You won. Why are you posting your text message? Just chill. Take your W, and if you feel you didn't deserve it, go get better - make better music,' " he told the magazine. "It felt cheap. It didn't feel genuine. Why do that? Why feel guilt? You think those guys would pay homage to you if they won?"
He went on saying that the Grammy trophies didn't always go to the best artists in the music industry. "This is how the world works: He made a brand of music that appealed to more people than me, [Jay-Z], [Kanye West] and Kendrick. Whether people wanna say it's racial, or whether it's just the fact that he tapped into something we can't tap into. That's just how the cards fall. Own your s**t," he continued.
At the Grammys, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis' debut LP "The Heist" was nominated in Best Rap Album category alongside Lamar's "good kid, m.A.A.d city", Drake's "Nothing Was the Same", Jay-Z's "Magna Carta... Holy Grail" and West's "Yeezus".
"To name just Kendrick? That s**t made me feel funny. No, in that case, you robbed everybody. We all need text messages!" Drake added.
Despite winning the Best Rap Album award and beating the likes of Jay-Z and West, Macklemore thought that the trophy should have belonged to Lamar. He then sent the Compton MC a text message that read, "You got robbed. I wanted you to win. You should have. It's weird and sucks that I robbed you. I was gonna say that during the speech. Then the music started playing during my speech, and I froze."
The musician, whose real name is Ben Haggerty, then took a screen shot of the message and posted it on his Instagram. "My text to Kendrick after the show. He deserved best rap album," he captioned the pic.
While some rappers agreed that Macklemore didn't deserve the award, Lamar had his own opinion. In a recent interview with XXL, he said of Macklemore's win, "It's well deserved; he did what he did, man. He went out there and hustled and grinded. Everything happens for a reason; the universe comes back around, that's how it go."
More Drake News
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle