Comedian Sid Caesar Dies at 91, Stars React
Entertainment world has lost one of its greatest talent. Comic actor Sid Caesar, who is dubbed the pioneer of TV sketch comedy and mostly remembered for his appearance in 1950s hit "Your Show of Shows", has passed away. He was 91. Caesar died on Wednesday, February 12 in his home in the Trousdale Estates section of Beverly Hills after a brief illness.
Confirming the sad news to The Hollywood Reporter, Caesar's friend and collaborator Carl Reiner said in a statement, "Inarguably he was the greatest single monologist and skit comedian we ever had. Television owes him a debt of gratitude for his pioneering work and the great shows he gave us all. Render onto Caesar what is his due. He deserves real applause from the American people."
Many stars took to Twitter to pay tribute after learning of the passing. "Saddened by the death of Sid Caeser. He was one of the greats. When you watch him today, he still makes you laugh like he did 60 years ago," Joan Rivers tweeted. "A childhood highlight was going to the taping of 'Your Show of Shows'. I'm just sorry I never had the opportunity to work with Sid Caesar."
Whoopi Goldberg added, "Life...doing her thing, another great has passed Sid Caesar. Funny man We honored him at the very first Comic Relief. RIP turn turn turn." Arnold Schwarzenegger additionally said, "We've lost one of the greats. Sid Caesar was a fantastic comedian and entertainer. His quadlingual schtick was always a hit. We'll miss him."
"Saturday Night Live" alum Kevin Nealon wrote, "RIP Sid Caesar. You were the first," while Woody Allen said in a statement, "He was one of the truly great comedians of my time and one of the finest privileges I've had in my entire career was that I was able to work for him."
Caesar was born Isaac Sidney Caesar on September 8, 1922, in Yonkers, N.Y. Throughout his career, he was nominated for 10 Emmy Awards and received two trophies. He was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award in Comedy by the Television Hall of Fame in 1978.
Caesar is survived by daughters Michele and Karen and son Rick. His wife Florence died in 2010.
- Six Shortest Celebrity Marriages
- Dating for Nine Months, Drew Barrymore Is Set to Wed for the Fourth Time
- So Cool! Watch Lee Joon Gi Do His Own Dangerous Stunt for 'Criminal Minds'
- Goo Hara Is Accused of Smoking Marijuana After Posting a Photo of Hand-Rolled Cigarette
- Chrissy Teigen Is Blocked by Donald Trump After Posting This on Twitter
- Rick Ross Won't Sign Female Rapper to His Label as He Will 'End Up F**king' Her
- Amber Rose Reveals Kanye West Almost Caused Her to Commit Suicide After Their Breakup
- Full-Length Trailer for 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' Re-Release Unleashed