Comedian Sid Caesar Dies at 91, Stars React
Entertainment world has lost one of its greatest talent. Comic actor Sid Caesar, who is dubbed the pioneer of TV sketch comedy and mostly remembered for his appearance in 1950s hit "Your Show of Shows", has passed away. He was 91. Caesar died on Wednesday, February 12 in his home in the Trousdale Estates section of Beverly Hills after a brief illness.
Confirming the sad news to The Hollywood Reporter, Caesar's friend and collaborator Carl Reiner said in a statement, "Inarguably he was the greatest single monologist and skit comedian we ever had. Television owes him a debt of gratitude for his pioneering work and the great shows he gave us all. Render onto Caesar what is his due. He deserves real applause from the American people."
Many stars took to Twitter to pay tribute after learning of the passing. "Saddened by the death of Sid Caeser. He was one of the greats. When you watch him today, he still makes you laugh like he did 60 years ago," Joan Rivers tweeted. "A childhood highlight was going to the taping of 'Your Show of Shows'. I'm just sorry I never had the opportunity to work with Sid Caesar."
Whoopi Goldberg added, "Life...doing her thing, another great has passed Sid Caesar. Funny man We honored him at the very first Comic Relief. RIP turn turn turn." Arnold Schwarzenegger additionally said, "We've lost one of the greats. Sid Caesar was a fantastic comedian and entertainer. His quadlingual schtick was always a hit. We'll miss him."
"Saturday Night Live" alum Kevin Nealon wrote, "RIP Sid Caesar. You were the first," while Woody Allen said in a statement, "He was one of the truly great comedians of my time and one of the finest privileges I've had in my entire career was that I was able to work for him."
Caesar was born Isaac Sidney Caesar on September 8, 1922, in Yonkers, N.Y. Throughout his career, he was nominated for 10 Emmy Awards and received two trophies. He was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award in Comedy by the Television Hall of Fame in 1978.
Caesar is survived by daughters Michele and Karen and son Rick. His wife Florence died in 2010.
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital