'Divergent' Sequel Finds 'Perfect' Director in 'Red' Helmer Robert Schwentke
Summit Entertainment has tapped a director for "Insurgent". Robert Schwentke signs up to take the helming duty for the "Divergent" sequel as Neil Burger, who sat behind the lens for the first film, has been confirmed not to return to the second movie.
Erick Feig, president of Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, says in a statement released on Tuesday, February 11, "We are excited to announce that we have found the perfect director to carry on the story of Tris Prior and the expanded world of 'Insurgent' in Robert Schwentke."
He adds, "Robert, with whom we have already had a successful relationship, has proven a master storyteller in multiple genres and we can't wait to see what he brings to Veronica Roth's next installment of the 'Divergent' series. As well, we are very happy to welcome Todd Lieberman and David Hoberman to the team as executive producers."
Schwentke has directed novel-adapted film "The Time Traveler's Wife" (2009) and comic-adapted movies "Red" (2010) and "R.I.P.D." (2013). His other credits include "Tattoo" (2002) and "Flightplan" (2005).
"Divergent" and its sequel "Insurgent" are based on the first and the second book of Veronica Roth's trilogy set in a futuristic world where society has been divided into five factions. The first film follows Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley) who doesn't fit into just one faction and is called a Divergent. She is warned that she must conceal this secret or risk her life.
As Tris uncovers a looming war which threatens her family and the life of the mysterious Dauntless leader whom she has come to love, Tris must face her greatest test yet-deciding whether revealing she is a Divergent will save her world-or destroy it.
"Divergent" will hit theaters in the U.S. on March 21 and "Insurgent" will follow a year later, on March 20, 2015. The second installment continues the journey of Tris as war now looms. Sides will be chosen, secrets will emerge, and Tris will risk everything as she struggles to harness her incredible power.
- 'Pretty Little Liars' 7.03 Preview: Ali Fights Back
- Lisa Marie Presley Splits From Michael Lockwood After 10 Years of Marriage
- Kylie Jenner Kisses Tyga in This Sexy Photobooth Pic
- Daniel Radcliffe Is 'Leaving Room' to Play 'Harry Potter' Again in the Future
- Nicolas Cage Spotted Kissing Mystery Woman After Splitting From His Wife
- Video Premiere: Blake Shelton's 'She's Got a Way With Words'
- DC Superheroes Line Up for Duty in New 'Justice League' Concept Art
- Jay Leno Survives a Terrifying Accident While Filming His Car Show