Maggie Gyllenhaal to Make Broadway Debut in 'The Real Thing' Revival
Maggie Gyllenhaal is taking her first trip to The Great White Way. She is tapped to star in a new revival of Tom Stoppard's critically-acclaimed play "The Real Thing", joining Ewan McGregor who will also make his Broadway debut with the New York stage production.
The show follows unhappily-married playwright Henry who, in this life-imitate-art story, writes a play about a crumbling marriage with his wife Charlotte starring in it. Things get complicated when he falls for Annie, the wife of Charlotte's co-star Max.
McGregor assumes the lead role of Henry, following the footsteps of Jeremy Irons and Stephen Dillane who both won Tonys for playing the key part in the original 1984 Broadway production and in the 2000 revival respectively. Gyllenhaal will play his love interest.
The new production will be directed by Sam Gold ("Picnic"). Preview performances will start October 2 before officially opening on October 30 at the American Airlines Theater. The limited engagement show will run until January 4, 2015.
Although "The Real Thing" will be Gyllenhaal's Broadway debut, it's actually not her first involvement in a stage play. The Oscar-nominated actress actually has appeared in a Berkeley Repertory Theatre production of the play "Closer" (2000).
On the big screen, she was last seen in Roland Emmerich's "White House Down" starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. Her latest film "Frank" led by Michael Fassbender premiered at Sundance early this year and became one of the favorites at the festival.
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer
- Rihanna Sends Taylor Swift a Warning After Pop Diva Spent Her Night Partying With Drake
- Ray J Teams Up With Chris Brown for Kanye West 'Famous' Response
- Here's Why Ryan Reynolds Disagrees With Tim Miller's 'More Stylish' Version of 'Deadpool 2'
- Taylor Kinney Already Moves on After Lady GaGa Split. Who's His New Girlfriend?
- What Breakup? Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx Are 'Still Together' Despite Split Rumors
- We'll Miss You, Toby! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star and Creator Say Goodbye to Keegan Allen