'The Walking Dead' Midseason Premiere Beats Olympics Coverage in Demo
"The Walking Dead" highly-anticipated return has defeated Winter Olympics. The show's midseason premiere on Sunday, February 9 trumped over NBC's coverage of the sports event taking place in Sochi in the key demo.
Drawing a total of 15.8 million viewers, the episode titled "After" delivered 10.4 million adults aged 18-49 or a 8.3 rating in the targeted demo. Though the Olympic coverage lured more total viewers (25.4 million), it only posted a 6.9 rating in the 18-49 demo.
The rating matched the show's previous series high. In term of total viewers, the season 4 winter return only came second after the show's season 4 premiere last fall, which attracted 16.1 million viewers.
"With a number of high-profile choices on television last night, for 'The Walking Dead' to deliver record ratings is remarkable. Thanks to the fans, who have been so supportive of this show in so many ways. We share your passion for this world," said Charlie Collier, AMC president, of "The Walking Dead" performance. "Chocolate pudding for all!"
With the good news also comes the bad news. It was recently reported that the show's subway prank was under investigation by New York's Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA). It appears that the show failed to get permits from New York city officials for the prank.
The zombie prank involved actors dressing as walkers who were sent under a sidewalk grate at 14th Street at Union Square. The walkers scared unsuspecting pedestrians and their reactions were documented in a video to promote the show's February 9 return.
More The Walking Dead News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones