Bruno Mars Addresses 'Disgusting' Criticisms Over His Super Bowl Gig on 'Ellen'
Bruno Mars amazed the crowd with his killer vocals and energetic dance moves when he performed at Super Bowl halftime show on February 2. However, not everyone is a fan of the Hawaiian singer's performance.
Mars appeared in the Monday, February 10 episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" to talk about the gig and address some criticisms he received. "You know, you know what they said, but they basically didn't think he was a star. They said he wasn't a star because he wasn't in the tabloids and he doesn't have a fragrance," host Ellen DeGeneres said, referring to a New York Times article.
"I did hear that and I think that was by far the most disgusting thing I think I've heard," Mars responded. "Not because it was taking a shot at me, but I was thinking about aspiring young musicians who want to do this and even hearing the thought you need a fragrance or something like that..."
Mars then delivered an inspiring speech to aspiring musicians who are pursuing their dreams. "Any young, aspiring musicians out there, if music is what you want to do, if music is what you love and your passion. It doesn't take a fragrance, it's not about the tabloids, it's about you putting in the work, practicing every day, practicing your vocals, practicing your instrument, practicing songwriting," he said.
"I promise you one day you're going to have your moment to shine and you're going to have a lot of people saying that you can't do it and you're not good enough," he continued. "But I promise you, if you go out there and sing and you put your heart and soul into it and you follow your dream, one day you're going to be sitting next to Ellen DeGeneres, talking about how you broke records and rocked the Super Bowl. Stand up America!"
During the interview with DeGeneres, Mars also revealed that he spent "months" rehearsing for his Super Bowl performance. "As soon as we got the call I was thinking about ideas and, you know, how are going to pull this off? It's the biggest stage on Earth," he explained.
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC
- Watch Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Shed Tears in 'Wolves' Music Video
- Amber Rose Reveals Wiz Khalifa Puts His Sperm on Her Face While They're Having Sex
- Emma Roberts Is Mad Diva in 'Scream Queens' Season 2 Promo
- Katy Perry Credits Boyfriend Orlando Bloom for Helping Write Her DNC Speech
- Disney Gives 'Rocketeer' a Reboot With Exciting Twist - Get the Deets Here!
- Justin Bieber Turns Down $5M Offer to Perform at RNC