Bruno Mars Addresses 'Disgusting' Criticisms Over His Super Bowl Gig on 'Ellen'
Bruno Mars amazed the crowd with his killer vocals and energetic dance moves when he performed at Super Bowl halftime show on February 2. However, not everyone is a fan of the Hawaiian singer's performance.
Mars appeared in the Monday, February 10 episode of "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" to talk about the gig and address some criticisms he received. "You know, you know what they said, but they basically didn't think he was a star. They said he wasn't a star because he wasn't in the tabloids and he doesn't have a fragrance," host Ellen DeGeneres said, referring to a New York Times article.
"I did hear that and I think that was by far the most disgusting thing I think I've heard," Mars responded. "Not because it was taking a shot at me, but I was thinking about aspiring young musicians who want to do this and even hearing the thought you need a fragrance or something like that..."
Mars then delivered an inspiring speech to aspiring musicians who are pursuing their dreams. "Any young, aspiring musicians out there, if music is what you want to do, if music is what you love and your passion. It doesn't take a fragrance, it's not about the tabloids, it's about you putting in the work, practicing every day, practicing your vocals, practicing your instrument, practicing songwriting," he said.
"I promise you one day you're going to have your moment to shine and you're going to have a lot of people saying that you can't do it and you're not good enough," he continued. "But I promise you, if you go out there and sing and you put your heart and soul into it and you follow your dream, one day you're going to be sitting next to Ellen DeGeneres, talking about how you broke records and rocked the Super Bowl. Stand up America!"
During the interview with DeGeneres, Mars also revealed that he spent "months" rehearsing for his Super Bowl performance. "As soon as we got the call I was thinking about ideas and, you know, how are going to pull this off? It's the biggest stage on Earth," he explained.
More Bruno Mars News
- Jay-Z Turns 47! Beyonce, Tina Knowles and Kelly Rowland Celebrate Rapper's Birthday in L.A.
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Ties the Knot with Joana Pak
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Peta Murgatroyd Kicked Out of Childbirth Class - Here Is Why!
- 'Luke Cage' Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix
- 'Glee' Star Becca Tobin Marries Zach Martin - Check Out Her Wedding Pics!
- Donald Trump Calls 'SNL' Unwatchable, Alec Baldwin Reacts
- Jensen Ackles and Danneel Harris Welcome Twin Babies
- 'Sense8' Announces Premiere Dates for Christmas Special and Season 2