Weinstein Co. Explains 'Vampire Academy' Midnight Screening Cancellation
The midnight screening for "Vampire Academy", a movie based on Richelle Mead's YA novel of the same name, was canceled, much to the dismay and disappointment of the book's hardcore fans. Many ticket buyers were turned away on the spot when they showed up at the theaters where the screening was supposedly scheduled.
The Weinstein Company quickly addressed the issue in a statement, saying that they rarely, if ever, scheduled midnight shows on Thursday. TWC's Erik Lomis said as quoted by Deadline, "They were listed by mistake. The theaters were informed either Wednesday night or Thursday morning as we found out about them."
But it seemed that the cancellation was not announced by the theaters until the very last minute. The explanation from the theater CinemaBlend's creative director, Mack Rawden, went to was, "I'm very sorry. The studio called earlier today and forced us to cancel our midnight screening for The Vampire Academy. It wasn't our decision, but we'd like to give you four free movie passes to make up for your trouble."
According to Deadline, the daughter of one of the producers, Jillian Preger DeFrehn, who runs the Facebook fan page, showed up at the Glendale 18 to greet fans and ended up apologizing to everyone on behalf of filmmakers. She didn't know about the error and had not heard about the cancellation either.
"Vampire Academy" opens February 7 against "The Lego Movie" which earned rave reviews following the midnight screening on Thursday. After the midnight screening gaffe, the "Vampire Academy" Friday showing went without hitch. "Just watched VA and I left the theater feeling like a bad ass! Yeah ok I'm going to train now!!!! Hahaha totally AWESOME!!!" one fan wrote. The other gushed, "Cannot get over how awesome Vampire Academy was."
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences