'American Idol' Recap: Harry Connick Jr. 'Walks Out' After a Contestant Quits on Group Night
It was the moment dreaded by most contestants on "American Idol" as they had to sing in groups. Picking up where the last episode left off, the Thursday, February 6 outing saw the group performances. By the end of the day, only half of them stayed on the competition.
3 Mo' Days consisted of three contestants who made it to the Group Round last season. Two of them were sent through to the next round, but the third guy was sent home for spending most of the time looking at his feet.
As previewed in the previous episode, the collaboration of three country guys who called themselves Backstreet Cowboys was pretty exciting. They sang a country version of Backstreet Boys' "I Made It That Way" and all of them survived.
Briana Oakley also emerged as a standout during the group night. Jennifer Lopez couldn't help singing with her when she sang Lorde's "Royals". She and teammate Nobilette made it through.
Tension arose as Spencer Lloyd performed with two ladies, who both didn't really know the song they're going to sing. The ladies forgot the lyrics during their performance. One of them, Alyssa Siebken, was eliminated and she blamed Spencer for it.
Tiquila Wilson, on the other hand, voluntarily left the show. "My heart is gospel, and I feel like on American Idol, this competition isn't for me," she explained her decision. Harry Connick Jr. turned the mood lighter as he playfully staged a walk-out and flipped the bird to the two other judges.
Caleb Johnson stole the spotlight during his group's performance of "Too Close". He survived and so did C.J. Harris. Their team mate Matthew Hamel didn't make it through though, and he showed a bad attitude.
Mumfarid Zaidi, whose group was put in jeopardy because one of the members, Sikenya Thompson, had a sore throat, eventually performed with a full line-up. Sikenya returned just in time for the performance and she, Mumfarid and Jena Asciutto moved on.
Savion Wright, Ryan Clark, John Fox and Madeline Patterson formed their group during their Austin auditions. They all made it through except for John. Jessica Meuse, who had a rough time with one of the contestant's moms, also survived with her team mates, except for the girl with the rude mom, who later trash talked Jessica.
Emmanuel Zidor was the only surviving member of his team, while Malaya Watson and all of her group members made it through.
Seventy-seven singers remain on the show at the end of the episode. Next week, the judges will pick the Top 30.
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group