'ExpendaBelles' Gets 'Legally Blonde' Director
"The ExpendaBelles" has found its director. Robert Luketic ("Legally Blonde", "Paranoia") is tapped to helm the female-centric spin-off of Sylvester Stallone's all-male mercenary movie "The Expendables".
The official plotline for the film has also been revealed by Millennium Films. The all-female movie is confirmed to follow an elite group of highly trained female mercenaries who are brought together for a covert hostage rescue mission.
Once they are behind enemy lines, the women discover that they will also need to topple an evil dictator bent on world domination. It becomes clear there is no such thing as the right man for the job. The ExpendaBelles is the ultimate story of female empowerment and kick-ass teamwork.
It's slightly different from the synopsis released by the studio a few hours earlier. The initial logline is when America's Navy SEALs are wiped out trying to penetrate the island lair of a deadly despot who has captured one of the world's top nuclear scientists, it becomes clear that there is no such thing as the right man for the job and that this is a mission so impossible that only women can handle it.
The only way in: some of the world's deadliest female operatives must pose as high-class call-girls shipped in by private plane to satisfy a dictator - and instead save the scientist and the day.
This project will reunite Luketic with scribe duo Kirsten "Kiwi" Smith and Karen McCullah who previously wrote his rom-coms "Legally Blonde" and "The Ugly Truth". Stallone, who is currently completing "The Expendables 3", serves as a producer alongside Kevin King.
No actress has been confirmed to take on the lead roles, but executive producer Avi Lerner previously said he was in talks with Meryl Streep, Cameron Diaz and Milla Jovovich.
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Single 'Kiss the Sky' Off His 'Platinum Hits' Album
- Hayes Grier Shares Photo From Hospital, Assures Fans He's 'Good' After Dirt Bike Crash
- Constance Wu Slams 'Great Wall' for Whitewashing: Our Heroes Don't Look Like Matt Damon
- Zachary Quinto Addresses Engagement Speculations and Wedding Plans to Miles McMillan
- Justin Bieber Teases 'Cold Water' Video as the Major Lazer Collab Hits No. 1 on U.K. Chart
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC