'American Idol' Recap: Immediate Cuts and 'Hell Night' as Hollywood Week Begins
"American Idol" sent 212 people to Hollywood this season, but for some it might be a very short trip to the famous district. As soon as they arrived at the airport, they were transported to a soundstage inside a hangar on the airport grounds instead of being taken to the hotel. Fifty two of them, whom the judges "were on the fence about," had to sing immediately for the judges.
Caitlin Johnson, Adam Roth and Khristian D'Avis were among those who failed to convince the judges. Following the performances, the other 160 contestants were sent to the hotel while the 52 singers were divided into two groups. One group was taken to the hotel while the other went to the airport to get sent back home. Thirty-two people were eliminated in this round.
The next day, the real Hollywood Week began with the contestants singing solo. Spencer Lloyd, Austin Wolfe, Bria Anai and Sam Woolf shone in this round, and so did male country singers such as C.J. Harris, Ben Briley and Dexter Roberts. 56 singers were eliminated in this round, leaving 104 in the competition.
Next, it's time for the Group Round or what contestant Emmanual Zidor called "Hell Night." The remaining contestants started to search for partners to make a group of three or four, with country boys Casey Thrasher, Ben and Dexter teaming up in a group called Backstreet Cowboys.
Meanwhile, Savion Wright, Ryan Clark, John Fox and Madeline Patterson planned their group way before the Hollywood Week, bonding together during their Austin auditions.
As always, there was some drama during the groups' preparation. Jessica Meuse broke up her group after one of the other two members got sick, lost his voice and quit. She then joined an all-girl group, but got annoyed by one of the contestant's moms. A sore throat also threw Mumfarid Zaidi's group in jeopardy.
"American Idol" will return on Thursday, February 6 with the group performances.
More American Idol News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media