Matthew McConaughey Is Suicidal Man in 'Sea of Trees'
"Dallas Buyers Club" star Matthew McConaughey has scored a new project which will be helmed by the acclaimed director Gus Van Sant. He is to star opposite Ken Watanabe in "The Sea of Trees" as a suicidal man who flies to Japan to die among the trees.
The story centers on an American man who meets a Japanese man, played by Watanabe, in the Japan's infamous "Suicide Forest" at the bottom of Mount Fuji. Having the intention to commit suicide, the two men eventually team up to escape the forest and "begin a journey of reflection and survival."
The script was included among 2012 Black list, which is the annual list of the most popular unproduced scripts. "Buried" scribe Chris Sparling wrote the original screenplay while Gil Netter is producing. CAA and WME are still in negotiations with financiers to fund the project.
This would be McConaughey's first film with Van Sant. The Oscar nominee will next appear in Christopher Nolan's highly-anticipated sci-fi movie "Interstellar", in theaters November 7.
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts
- Beyonce's Security Team Conducting Trial Runs for Her Delivery
- AOA's Choa Wipes Her Instagram Account Clean Following Dating Rumors
- Doug Liman Leaves 'Justice League Dark', 'It' Director Andres Muschietti May Take Over the Project
- Kim Kardashian Tries to Save Marriage to Kanye West for the Sake of Fame