Matthew McConaughey Is Suicidal Man in 'Sea of Trees'
"Dallas Buyers Club" star Matthew McConaughey has scored a new project which will be helmed by the acclaimed director Gus Van Sant. He is to star opposite Ken Watanabe in "The Sea of Trees" as a suicidal man who flies to Japan to die among the trees.
The story centers on an American man who meets a Japanese man, played by Watanabe, in the Japan's infamous "Suicide Forest" at the bottom of Mount Fuji. Having the intention to commit suicide, the two men eventually team up to escape the forest and "begin a journey of reflection and survival."
The script was included among 2012 Black list, which is the annual list of the most popular unproduced scripts. "Buried" scribe Chris Sparling wrote the original screenplay while Gil Netter is producing. CAA and WME are still in negotiations with financiers to fund the project.
This would be McConaughey's first film with Van Sant. The Oscar nominee will next appear in Christopher Nolan's highly-anticipated sci-fi movie "Interstellar", in theaters November 7.
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic