Matthew McConaughey Is Suicidal Man in 'Sea of Trees'
"Dallas Buyers Club" star Matthew McConaughey has scored a new project which will be helmed by the acclaimed director Gus Van Sant. He is to star opposite Ken Watanabe in "The Sea of Trees" as a suicidal man who flies to Japan to die among the trees.
The story centers on an American man who meets a Japanese man, played by Watanabe, in the Japan's infamous "Suicide Forest" at the bottom of Mount Fuji. Having the intention to commit suicide, the two men eventually team up to escape the forest and "begin a journey of reflection and survival."
The script was included among 2012 Black list, which is the annual list of the most popular unproduced scripts. "Buried" scribe Chris Sparling wrote the original screenplay while Gil Netter is producing. CAA and WME are still in negotiations with financiers to fund the project.
This would be McConaughey's first film with Van Sant. The Oscar nominee will next appear in Christopher Nolan's highly-anticipated sci-fi movie "Interstellar", in theaters November 7.
- Saturn Awards 2017: 'Walking Dead', 'Westworld', 'Supergirl' Top TV Winners
- Tyra Banks Is Reportedly Readying for Baby No. 2
- Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott Flaunt Couple Rings Amid Rumors He Cheats on Her With 10 Women
- 'Castle Rock' Finds Its Female Lead in Melanie Lynskey
- Kendra Wilkinson Admits to Doing 'FaceTime Sex' With Husband Hank When in Long-Distance Relationship
- 'Big Brother' Season 19 Premiere: Biggest Twist Gets a Houseguest Evicted
- Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner Enjoy Vacation in the Bahamas Amid Divorce
- Shia LaBeouf Flashes His Penis While Peeing at the Beach