Matthew McConaughey Is Suicidal Man in 'Sea of Trees'
"Dallas Buyers Club" star Matthew McConaughey has scored a new project which will be helmed by the acclaimed director Gus Van Sant. He is to star opposite Ken Watanabe in "The Sea of Trees" as a suicidal man who flies to Japan to die among the trees.
The story centers on an American man who meets a Japanese man, played by Watanabe, in the Japan's infamous "Suicide Forest" at the bottom of Mount Fuji. Having the intention to commit suicide, the two men eventually team up to escape the forest and "begin a journey of reflection and survival."
The script was included among 2012 Black list, which is the annual list of the most popular unproduced scripts. "Buried" scribe Chris Sparling wrote the original screenplay while Gil Netter is producing. CAA and WME are still in negotiations with financiers to fund the project.
This would be McConaughey's first film with Van Sant. The Oscar nominee will next appear in Christopher Nolan's highly-anticipated sci-fi movie "Interstellar", in theaters November 7.
- Rob Kardashian Ready to Find Love on New Reality Show After Blac Chyna Split
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Secret to Her Big and Perky Butt
- James Franco and Seth Rogen Are Developing '90s Teen Drama for Hulu
- Disney Opens Up About Leia's Role, Han Solo Movie and the Future of 'Star Wars'
- Rihanna's Pals Begging Her to Stay Away From Chris Brown Amid Rumors Exes Are Reconnecting
- Elisabeth Moss Stands Up for Herself in 'Handmaid's Tale' Full Trailer
- Kendrick Lamar Goes After Donald Trump and Fellow Rapper on 'The Heart Part 4'
- New 'Alien: Covenant' Poster Features Xenomorphs Suffocating the Engineers