Matthew McConaughey Is Suicidal Man in 'Sea of Trees'
"Dallas Buyers Club" star Matthew McConaughey has scored a new project which will be helmed by the acclaimed director Gus Van Sant. He is to star opposite Ken Watanabe in "The Sea of Trees" as a suicidal man who flies to Japan to die among the trees.
The story centers on an American man who meets a Japanese man, played by Watanabe, in the Japan's infamous "Suicide Forest" at the bottom of Mount Fuji. Having the intention to commit suicide, the two men eventually team up to escape the forest and "begin a journey of reflection and survival."
The script was included among 2012 Black list, which is the annual list of the most popular unproduced scripts. "Buried" scribe Chris Sparling wrote the original screenplay while Gil Netter is producing. CAA and WME are still in negotiations with financiers to fund the project.
This would be McConaughey's first film with Van Sant. The Oscar nominee will next appear in Christopher Nolan's highly-anticipated sci-fi movie "Interstellar", in theaters November 7.
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent