Video: Broken Bells Teams Up With Ringo Starr to Cover The Beatles on 'Late Show'
Broken Bells paid tribute to The Beatles by covering the legendary band's song on the Monday, February 3 episode of "Late Show with David Letterman". The duo kicked off a week of tributes to the British group which first arrived in the U.S. and performed on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in February 50 years ago.
Broken Bells' James Mercer and Danger Mouse performed a cover of Beatles' "And I Love Her". They were "joined" onstage by Ringo Starr, who appeared on an old school TV and provided original beats from "I Am the Walrus".
The group then sat down for an interview with Paul Shaffer. They talked about how the performance with Starr happened. "That song has been one of my favorite Beatle songs, actually," Mercer said. "And then Brian, you had the idea of sort of meshing it with another song."
"The drum beat we used was from 'I am the Walrus'. And so we just played with Ringo playing that," Danger Mouse added before explaining how the footage of Starr's drumming could match their performance.
"It was really just the idea it was going to be one loop and a video that just looped over and over," he explained. "And my engineer, Todd, back in L.A., I said, 'Hey, can you mock this up.' I wasn't even in the studio. I came back and he had this great loop going. And it looks real homemade." Mercer added that he and Danger Mouse were "just following Ringo."
Broken Bells has just released their latest album, "After the Disco". They are now gearing up to embark on their tour that's beginning later this month in Minneapolis.
Meanwhile, Sting, The Flaming Lips and Lenny Kravitz will be among musicians who are paying tribute to The Beatles in the next episodes of "Late Show with David Letterman".
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy