U2 Raises More Than $3M for (RED) With 'Invisible' Free Download
U2 debuted a new song called "Invisible" in an ad for Bank of America and (RED) that aired during the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 2. On Tuesday morning, February 4, the band announced that the song had been downloaded more than 3 million times in only 36 hours since it became available for free download on iTunes.
With Bank of America donating $1 for each song downloaded, U2 has raised more than $3 million for the Global Fund which will use the money to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. It surpassed the original pledge of $2 million.
The song was planned to stay on iTunes for free until Monday night. The track has now returned to the site and is available for $1.29 with all proceeds going to the Global Fund.
(RED) was founded in 2006 by U2's frontman Bono and activist Bobby Shriver. The organization has so far generated more than $250 million for the Global Fund to fight AIDS.
Global strategy and marketing officer of Bank of America Anne Finucane said of the company partnering with U2 and (RED), "U2 provides the talent, (RED) brings a wealth of experience in the fight against AIDS, and we offer an immense platform to help get the message out. Together, we can produce significant results, as evidenced by the awareness we've been able to build and money we've been able to raise over the past few days."
Deborah Dugan, CEO of (RED), added in a statement, "These are much-needed funds for the fight to end the AIDS pandemic in our lifetime and to get closer to the goal of eliminating mother-to-child transmission of HIV by 2015."
"Invisible" was produced by Danger Mouse and was featured in a 60-second ad directed by Mark Romanek. The song will appear in U2's new album which is currently in the works and is scheduled to arrive later this year.
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Live Under Different Roofs After He's Released From Hospital
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video