Coca Cola's 'America the Beautiful' Super Bowl Ad Sparks Controversy
Coca Cola's commercial for Super Bowl which aired on Sunday, February 2, has sparked online debate. Entitled "It's Beautiful", the 1-minute spot shows people from different races enjoying their time with family and friends, drinking the carbonated drink while "America the Beautiful" which is sung in different languages other than English is being played in the background.
According to the company, the ad is "simply showing that America is beautiful and Coke is for everyone." Some people, however, apparently do not really like the fact that the song is sung in seven languages. "Nice to see that coke likes to sing an AMERICAN song in the terrorist's language. Way to go coke. You can leave America," a Twitter user wrote.
A person tweeted, "I didn't like the coca cola commercial last night because I couldn't understand it." Another Twitter user added, "I am truly disappointed in @Coca Cola for the offensive #SpeakAmerican commercial last night. Speak English!"
In addition to language, some people took issue with a scene which shows a same-sex couple and their daughter. In response to the criticism, GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said in a statement, "Including a gay family in this ad is not only a step forward for the advertising industry, but a reflection of the growing majority of Americans from all walks of life who proudly support their LGBT friends, family and neighbors as integral parts of 'America the Beautiful'."
Although some people do not like it, others can appreciate the message. "My favorite commercial so far? Coca Cola's America the Beautiful ad. Gave me goosebumps, and I don't even drink pop! #superbowlcommercials," Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska tweeted. "I'm embarrassed for those who felt that coca cola commercial was a problem. Actually, you're the problem. #tolerance," another person wrote. "Wait, wait, wait...so people are genuinely upset that the Coca-Cola commercial was multi-lingual?" a person added.
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris