Barbara Walters Under Fire for Defending Woody Allen
Barbara Walters has been criticized for defending Woody Allen, who is accused of sexually abusing his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow when she was only 7 years old. Barbara talked about the issue on Monday, February 3 episode of "The View" with her co-hosts and even got into a heated argument with Sherri Shepherd.
"I have rarely seen a father as sensitive, as loving and as caring as Woody is and Soon-Yi to these two girls. I don't know about Dylan. I can only tell you what I have seen now," Barbara said, referring to Woody and his wife Soon-Yi Previn and their children. Sherri then pointed out that men who were perceived to be nice were also able to commit crime.
"We've heard so many cases of people going, 'He was the most wonderful person in the world. I would have never thought he would've...,' " Sherri said, adding that there are "many things that go on behind closed doors."
Following the heated exchange, some people took to Twitter to slam Barbara for defending the "Blue Jasmine" director. "@BarbaraJWalters A seasoned journalist actually thinks that a 'nice man' cannot be guilty of molestation? Ignorant & offensive. #theview," a Twitter user wrote.
"Very irresponsible of #BarbaraWalters to stick up for #WoodyAllen today re #DylanFarrow's allegations. Good on #Sherrisheperd 4 speaking up," another person added. "After 2day's #TheView Barbara Walters might want to consider moving her retirement date up. Defending ppl b/c they're friends is DANGEROUS," a person said in a Twitter post.
- Nashville Crowd Helps Kanye West Diss Taylor Swift
- 'Modern Family' to Make History by Casting Transgender Child Actor
- New 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Set Pic Sees Tom Holland Suiting Up as the Webslinger in Queens
- 'Scream Queens' 2.03 Preview Teases Bad Blood Between Chad and Brock
- Courteney Cox on Jennifer Aniston Dragged Into Brangelina Divorce: 'It's Not About Her'
- Rep Denies Lady GaGa Is Having Baby 'on Her Own'
- Get Your First Look at Nick Jonas in New 'Jumanji' Movie
- Report: Kourtney Kardashian Is Expecting Baby No. 4 With Scott Disick