Philip Seymour Hoffman's Autopsy Conducted in New York
An autopsy to determine Philip Seymour Hoffman's cause of death will be conducted a day after the actor was found dead at his West Village apartment on Sunday, February 2. New York medical examiner office will make confirmation on whether he died of drug overdose.
According to law enforcement sources, Hoffman was found lying on the bathroom floor with a syringe in his left arm. Several bags of what appeared to be heroin were found scattered all over the apartment, some of them stamped with heroin street names "Ace of Hearts" and "Ace of Spades".
TMZ reports that specifics of the heroin are still unknown but there has been a strain of extremely potent heroin that has killed dozens of people on the East Coast just last month. Some of the heroin are meant for terminal cancer patients, containing fentanyl as one of the ingredients and having 100 times more power than morphine. That kind of drugs can sometime shut down the respiratory system.
It is yet known whether the same strain of heroin has killed Hoffman. Two of the ten bags found in the apartment were empty. Police told TMZ that "everything's in play" until toxicology results are in.
Hoffman reportedly had been sober for 23 years before he had a relapse last year after which he spent 10 days in a rehabilitation facility. His addiction began when he graduated from New York University in 1989. The actor had been open about his struggle, telling "60 Minutes" in 2006, "It was all that drugs and alcohol, yeah. It was anything that I could get my hands on ...I liked it all."
- Gavin Rossdale Doesn't Want to Divorce Gwen Stefani, Says She's Still 'Incredible'
- John Legend Breaks Silence on Being Called 'Monkey' by Paparazzo
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role