Philip Seymour Hoffman Had Finished Most of His 'Mockingjay' Scenes Before He Died
Lionsgate, the studio behind "The Hunger Games" film franchise, has issued a statement in the wake of Philip Seymour Hoffman's shocking death. It's unclear if his sudden passing will affect the release of the next installment of the movie series, but the actor had completed "majority of his work."
"Philip Seymour Hoffman was a singular talent and one of the most gifted actors of our generation," the studio remembered the Oscar winner. "We're very fortunate that he graced our Hunger Games family. Losing him in his prime is a tragedy, and we send our deepest condolences to Philip's family."
Hoffman will reprise his role as Plutarch Heavensbee in the last two films. His colleagues from the franchise like director Francis Lawrence, author Suzanne Collins, producer Nina Jacobson, actress Jennifer Lawrence issued a joint statement to express their grief upon learning of his death.
"Words cannot convey the devastating loss we are all feeling right now. Philip was a wonderful person and an exceptional talent, and our hearts are breaking," they said in a somber note. "Our deepest thoughts and condolences go out to his family."
"The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1" is due November 21 this year, and "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2" will follow on November 20, 2015.
Another unfinished project from Hoffman is "Happyish", a new TV series which just got picked up by Showtime. His death puts the new show in limbo.
- You Won't Believe How Much Mila Kunis Spent on Her Wedding Ring
- Matt Damon Fights Monsters in Epic Trailer for 'The Great Wall'
- 'Sesame Street' Fires Three Longtime Cast Members
- Find Out Which Joe Jonas' Famous Exes He Would Like to 'Shag, Marry and Kill'
- Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden's Baby Struggles Reportedly Cause Marriage Problems
- Andrew Garfield Is World War II Hero in First 'Hacksaw Ridge' Trailer
- 'Scream Queens' Adds Jerry O'Connell in Mystery Role
- Troian Bellisario Has Harsh Words for Both Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift