Video: Stefon, Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg Help Seth Meyers Bid Farewell to 'SNL'
Melissa McCarthy may have been one of the most reliable "Saturday Night Live" hosts, but the February 1 edition was highly anticipated for being Seth Meyers' last show. Indeed, the farewell moment became the most-talked about segment of the episode as former cast members returned to help give a proper send-off to Meyers.
"It's been so fun working with you," Cecily Strong said after Meyers delivered his last joke on Weekend Update. "And you're such a wonderful person," she added, holding back tears. "Couple friends want to stop by and say something."
Amy Poehler and Bill Hader, as his alter ego Stefon, then joined them on the desk. "Seth, we are here to take you to the other side," she said. "We are so proud of you. You've been the heart of this show for over a decade."
Stefon added, "You're like the Sting of 'SNL' - because it takes you 12 years to finish." He got possessive when Strong mentioned Meyers' name. "You barely know him!" he yelled at Strong, and later said, "Keep my man's name out of your mouth."
As Poehler and Stefon gave Meyers an insight into life beyond "SNL", Andy Samberg sang for Meyers. "I just want to say being out here with my co-anchors and my dear friend and my husband [Stefon] is the perfect way to end. This is the job I've always wanted. I've had the best time and I've met the best people," Meyers concluded the emotional farewell, and Fred Armisen appeared briefly as the camera panned out.
Earlier in the pre-Super Bowl episode, McCarthy appeared as a Broadway performer tapped to perform at the Super Bowl Halftime Show in the cold opener. She had a fight with Bobby Moynihan in the monologue and reprised her role as Shelia Kelly, a woman with a major temper, in one of the sketches.
In "Women's Group", the "Bridesmaids" star played the member of a ladies' group and announced her plan to get vengeance for the death of her father. She also appeared in "Girlfriends" talk show.
Weekend Update: Seth's Farewell:
Melissa McCarthy Monologue:
"Girlfriends Talk Show":
More Saturday Night Live News
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show