Video: Stefon, Amy Poehler, Andy Samberg Help Seth Meyers Bid Farewell to 'SNL'
Melissa McCarthy may have been one of the most reliable "Saturday Night Live" hosts, but the February 1 edition was highly anticipated for being Seth Meyers' last show. Indeed, the farewell moment became the most-talked about segment of the episode as former cast members returned to help give a proper send-off to Meyers.
"It's been so fun working with you," Cecily Strong said after Meyers delivered his last joke on Weekend Update. "And you're such a wonderful person," she added, holding back tears. "Couple friends want to stop by and say something."
Amy Poehler and Bill Hader, as his alter ego Stefon, then joined them on the desk. "Seth, we are here to take you to the other side," she said. "We are so proud of you. You've been the heart of this show for over a decade."
Stefon added, "You're like the Sting of 'SNL' - because it takes you 12 years to finish." He got possessive when Strong mentioned Meyers' name. "You barely know him!" he yelled at Strong, and later said, "Keep my man's name out of your mouth."
As Poehler and Stefon gave Meyers an insight into life beyond "SNL", Andy Samberg sang for Meyers. "I just want to say being out here with my co-anchors and my dear friend and my husband [Stefon] is the perfect way to end. This is the job I've always wanted. I've had the best time and I've met the best people," Meyers concluded the emotional farewell, and Fred Armisen appeared briefly as the camera panned out.
Earlier in the pre-Super Bowl episode, McCarthy appeared as a Broadway performer tapped to perform at the Super Bowl Halftime Show in the cold opener. She had a fight with Bobby Moynihan in the monologue and reprised her role as Shelia Kelly, a woman with a major temper, in one of the sketches.
In "Women's Group", the "Bridesmaids" star played the member of a ladies' group and announced her plan to get vengeance for the death of her father. She also appeared in "Girlfriends" talk show.
Weekend Update: Seth's Farewell:
Melissa McCarthy Monologue:
"Girlfriends Talk Show":
More Saturday Night Live News
- Ivanka Trump's Brother-In-Law Joshua Kushner Joined Women's March on Washington
- Like It or Not, Donald Trump's Inauguration Draws Second Biggest Ratings in 36 Years
- Madonna Defends 'Blowing Up the White House' Remark as Secret Service Is Planning to Investigate Her
- Is 'Once Upon a Time' Preparing a Musical Episode in Season 6?
- 'Split' Tops Domestic Box Office, 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' Hits $1 Billion Worldwide
- Possible First Look at Superman's Black Suit in 'Justice League' Unveiled
- The Weeknd's 'Starboy' Stays at No. 1, The xx's 'I See You' Nabs Second Place on Billboard 200
- Keke Palmer Accuses Trey Songz of 'Sexual Intimidation' for Including Her in His Video