Marvin Gaye's Ex-Wife Anna Gordy Gaye Dies at 92
Anna Gordy Gaye, the sister of Motown founder Berry Gordy and the former wife of Marvin Gaye, has passed away. She was 92. Anna died at her home in Los Angeles from natural causes on Friday, January 31.
According to a statement from her family, Anna was surrounded by her son Marvin Gaye III and other family members during her passing. "She will be deeply missed," the family said, as quoted by Billboard.
Anna co-wrote songs such as "Baby, I'm for Real" and "The Bells" for Motown's R&B group The Originals. She also teamed up with her then-husband for "Flyin' High (In the Friendly Sky)" and "God Is Love" which were featured in Marvin's album "What's Going On". She and the Grammy-winning singer were married for 14 years before separating in 1977.
"I do believe the fact that I was married to Berry Gordy's sister saved me from getting my contract ripped up several times," Marvin said of his career in an interview with PEOPLE in 1979. "Let's face it, I'm a little strange by most standards. I truly feel I'm an artist and I don't give any quarter nor do I ask any ... I gotta take the responsibility to show up every night. I may as well make the people who promote me happy and assured that I am not the unstable flake they think I am."
Marvin passed away in 1984. Anna is survived by her son, Marvin, and brother, Berry.
- Amy Schumer Snogs Ben Hanisch on Kiss Cam During Mets Game
- Oh Boy! Harry Styles Rocks Three Different Looks for Another Man Magazine
- Taylor Lautner Says Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up With Her Sister Jamie Lynn
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship