Liam Neeson Lands Role in Martin Scorsese's Next Film 'Silence'
Liam Neeson returns to his dramatic roots after making a name as an action star in gritty "Taken". The "Schindler's List" actor is tapped to star in Martin Scorsese's "Silence" which is adapted from Shusaku Endo's 1966 novel of historical fiction.
The story set in 17th century will revolve around a Jesuit who travels to Japan with a fellow priest to investigate an alleged religious persecution. Scorsese writes the script with Jay Cocks. Production is expected to begin in Taiwan later this year.
Andrew Garfield has been cast as one of the priests named Father Rodrigues, and Adam Driver is allegedly tapped as the other priest. Neeson, meanwhile, will play Rodriques' mentor who has gone missing in Japan. Ken Watanabe will join the cast as well.
The project has been in development for more than 20 years. In August 2012, Scorsese was sued by Cecchi Gori Pictures for allegedly breaching an agreement to direct "Silence" as his next movie by choosing to make "The Wolf of Wall Street" first. The dispute was finally settled in Los Angeles Superior Court on January 17.
Neeson will next be seen in action thriller "Non-Stop", western comedy "A Million Ways to Die in the West", and crime drama "A Walk Among the Tombstones". He will also voice the Raccoon in "The Nut Job" and the Bad Cop in "The Lego Movie".
More Silence News
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie