Kendrick Lamar Responds to Grammy Snub, Congratulates Macklemore
Everyone from fellow musicians to fans has reacted to the disappointing fact that Kendrick Lamar left the Grammys empty handed. The Compton rapper, who remained silent after the Sunday, January 26 event, has now opened up about the shocking snub.
In a new interview with XXL, Lamar addressed his battle with Macklemore & Ryan Lewis in Best Rap Album category. The 26-year-old MC's "good kid, m.A.A.d city" ended up losing the title to the duo's "The Heist".
"It's well deserved; he did what he did, man," Lamar, who was in contention for seven awards at the show, told the site. "He went out there and hustled and grinded. Everything happens for a reason; the universe comes back around, that's how it go."
This year's Grammys didn't feature too many performances from hip-hop artists. Lamar was one of the three rappers who were slated to take the stage to perform at the event. When asked if the show undervalued hip-hop, Lamar said, "I definitely feel like they should always have more of the culture up in there, for sure, because we definitely stand out just like any other genre."
"We part of the world. We part of the movement. So I think any awards, including the Grammys, should always push for more hip-hop because it's music as a whole, it's not just splitting different regions. Everything moves as far as sound and vibrations, and that's how it goes. And we are a part of that," he added.
More Kendrick Lamar News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story