Kendrick Lamar Responds to Grammy Snub, Congratulates Macklemore
Everyone from fellow musicians to fans has reacted to the disappointing fact that Kendrick Lamar left the Grammys empty handed. The Compton rapper, who remained silent after the Sunday, January 26 event, has now opened up about the shocking snub.
In a new interview with XXL, Lamar addressed his battle with Macklemore & Ryan Lewis in Best Rap Album category. The 26-year-old MC's "good kid, m.A.A.d city" ended up losing the title to the duo's "The Heist".
"It's well deserved; he did what he did, man," Lamar, who was in contention for seven awards at the show, told the site. "He went out there and hustled and grinded. Everything happens for a reason; the universe comes back around, that's how it go."
This year's Grammys didn't feature too many performances from hip-hop artists. Lamar was one of the three rappers who were slated to take the stage to perform at the event. When asked if the show undervalued hip-hop, Lamar said, "I definitely feel like they should always have more of the culture up in there, for sure, because we definitely stand out just like any other genre."
"We part of the world. We part of the movement. So I think any awards, including the Grammys, should always push for more hip-hop because it's music as a whole, it's not just splitting different regions. Everything moves as far as sound and vibrations, and that's how it goes. And we are a part of that," he added.
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Hold Hands in NYC Following Split Rumors
- Backstreet Boys Joins Florida Georgia Line at iHeartRadio Music Festival. Plus Other Performances!
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors