Video: Bruce Springsteen Sings 'We Shall Overcome' for Pete Seeger During South African Concert
Bruce Springsteen paid tribute to Pete Seeger during his recent South African concert. The veteran singer performed "We Shall Overcome" during the second night of his three-night stand in Cape Town and dedicated it to the late folk singer.
"I lost a great friend and a great hero last night," Springsteen told the crowd of Seeger, who passed away on Monday night, January 27. He then talked about "We Shall Overcome" before saying, "Once you heard this song, you were prepared to march into hell's fire."
Springsteen had a long association with Seeger. In 2006, the "Born to Run" singer released "We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Session", a collection of traditional folk songs popularized by Seeger. The album won the Grammy for Best Traditional Folk Album in 2007.
Springsteen also covered Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" with Seeger and recorded "We Shall Overcome" for a tribute album called "Where Have All the Flowers Gone: The Songs of Pete Seeger" which was released in 1997.
Seeger died at the age of 94 at a hospital in New York. Prior to his death, he was scheduled to receive the first-ever Woody Guthrie Prize award from the Grammy Museum next month. According to a new Billboard report, the event to celebrate Seeger's musical legacy will continue as planned on February 22 at the Peter Norton Symphony Space in New York City.
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?