Scarlett Johansson Severs Ties With Oxfam After Super Bowl Ad
Scarlett Johansson has decided to step down from her position as ambassador for Oxfam International after the humanitarian organization criticized her for working with a company which operates in the West Bank. The "Her" star announced the separation in a statement via a spokesperson on Wednesday, January 29.
"Scarlett Johansson has respectfully decided to end her ambassador role with Oxfam after eight years," read the statement, as quoted by The Associated Press. "She and Oxfam have a fundamental difference of opinion in regards to the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement. She is very proud of her accomplishments and fundraising efforts during her tenure with Oxfam."
Johansson has been working with the organization to raise funds and awareness concerning global poverty. She traveled to several countries to carry out her duties.
Earlier this month, Johansson was revealed as the face of SodaStream and is also featured in a commercial for the drink which will air during Super Bowl game on Sunday, February 2. Oxfam then criticized the collaboration, mentioning that "businesses that operate in settlements further the ongoing poverty and denial of rights of the Palestinian communities that we work to support. Oxfam is opposed to all trade from Israeli settlements, which are illegal under international law."
In response to Oxfam's criticism, Johansson released a statement to Huffington Post. Johansson said she "never intended on being the face of any social or political movement, distinction, separation or stance as part of my affiliation with SodaStream."
More Scarlett Johansson News
- Jesse Eisenberg Confirms He Will Return for 'Justice League'
- Sam Mendes Confirms He Won't Direct the Next James Bond Movie
- Keira Knightley's Acting in 'Begin Again' Gets Criticized by Director
- Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Take Her Birthday Son to Indianapolis 500
- Ariana Grande Cancels Rock in Rio Performance Due to Throat and Sinus Infection
- Johnny Depp's Ex Vanessa Paradis and Daughter Lily-Rose Defend Him Amid Amber Heard Drama
- LOL! Prince Harry Hilariously Photobombs 'ANTM' Star Winnie Harlow's Picture
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio