The CW: Rob Thomas' 'iZombie' Gets Pilot Order, 'Supernatural' Spin-Off Gets Title
In preparation for the upcoming TV season, The CW has ordered pilots to some of its projects. Among those picked up to pilot is "iZombie" from "Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas and his frequent collaborator Diane Rugierro.
The supernatural crime procedural based on DC Comics' property centers on a med student-turned-zombie who takes a job in the coroner's office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity.
But with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse's memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.
Also getting pilot orders are "Identity" and "Jane the Virgin". The former is written by Corinne Brinkerhoff and executive produced by "Star Trek" scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, along with Heather Kadin, Rob Golenberg and Alon Aranya.
The logline for the drama reads, "When a young woman in need of a transplant learns she is related to a powerful family whose son is her only hope for a donor organ, the CIA approaches her to investigate the family's involvement in domestic terrorism and to infiltrate their rarefied world. Her loyalty, morality and ethics are tested as she's forced to slowly build a case against the family who saved her life."
"Jane the Virgin", meanwhile, is adapted from the successful Venezuelan telenovela "Juana la Virgen". The original version follows a 17-year-old who is accidentally artificially inseminated due to a hospital error. The baby's biological father later falls in love with her despite being married.
These three shows join "Arrow" spin-off "The Flash" and "Supernatural" spin-off, which now has a working title. Called "Supernatural: Tribes", the show which explores the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago will have its pilot aired as an episode of the mother show this spring.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences