The CW: Rob Thomas' 'iZombie' Gets Pilot Order, 'Supernatural' Spin-Off Gets Title
In preparation for the upcoming TV season, The CW has ordered pilots to some of its projects. Among those picked up to pilot is "iZombie" from "Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas and his frequent collaborator Diane Rugierro.
The supernatural crime procedural based on DC Comics' property centers on a med student-turned-zombie who takes a job in the coroner's office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity.
But with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse's memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head.
Also getting pilot orders are "Identity" and "Jane the Virgin". The former is written by Corinne Brinkerhoff and executive produced by "Star Trek" scribes Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, along with Heather Kadin, Rob Golenberg and Alon Aranya.
The logline for the drama reads, "When a young woman in need of a transplant learns she is related to a powerful family whose son is her only hope for a donor organ, the CIA approaches her to investigate the family's involvement in domestic terrorism and to infiltrate their rarefied world. Her loyalty, morality and ethics are tested as she's forced to slowly build a case against the family who saved her life."
"Jane the Virgin", meanwhile, is adapted from the successful Venezuelan telenovela "Juana la Virgen". The original version follows a 17-year-old who is accidentally artificially inseminated due to a hospital error. The baby's biological father later falls in love with her despite being married.
These three shows join "Arrow" spin-off "The Flash" and "Supernatural" spin-off, which now has a working title. Called "Supernatural: Tribes", the show which explores the clashing hunter and monster cultures of Chicago will have its pilot aired as an episode of the mother show this spring.
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist