Miley Cyrus Commends Disney Channel for Debuting Its First Gay Couple
Miley Cyrus and Evan Rachel Wood have lauded Disney Channel after the network debuted its first gay couple on "Good Luck Charlie". "Charlie Countryman" star Wood first retweeted After Ellen's post which included a link to the news and wrote, "Hell yea."
Cyrus, who rose to prominence after starring on Disney's series "Hannah Montana", then responded with, "is this true?!?!?! I commend Disney for making this step into the light of this generation. They control...so much of what kids think! Life isn't bright sets & wardrobe & kids becoming superstars! This is INSPIRING."
Disney Channel added its first gay characters in a January 26 episode of "Good Luck Charlie". In the said outing, Amy (Leigh-Allyn Baker) and Bob Duncan (Eric Allan Kramer) welcomed Charlie's (Mia Talerico) new friend Taylor and her two moms to their house.
What's interesting is that they didn't treat it like a big deal. It's not even the major plotline of the episode, which instead focused on big sister Teddy (Bridgit Mendler) and her best friend Ivy, as Ivy prepares to head off to college.
Disney Channel said when first announcing the episode in June, "This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors. Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness."
"Good Luck Charlie" will air its next and final episode on February 16.
- 'Ghostbusters' Cast Show Off the New Gadgets in Latest Featurette
- HBO Officially Confirms Jon Snow's True Parentage With This 'Game of Thrones' Infographic
- New 'Star Trek Beyond' Character Poster Shows Jaylah on Cap's Chair
- Lady GaGa and Taylor Kinney's Wedding Plan Reportedly Shelved Because of This
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Make Out in Rome, Fans Say Their Romance Is 'Staged'
- Watch James Van Der Beek Channel Diplo to Promote Mad Decent Block Party
- Jessica Simpson Reportedly Hires 'Homely' Nannies Because She Fears Her Husband Will Cheat on Her
- Your Favorite 'Nashville' Stars Are Returning for Season 5. Find Out Which Ones