Miley Cyrus Commends Disney Channel for Debuting Its First Gay Couple
Miley Cyrus and Evan Rachel Wood have lauded Disney Channel after the network debuted its first gay couple on "Good Luck Charlie". "Charlie Countryman" star Wood first retweeted After Ellen's post which included a link to the news and wrote, "Hell yea."
Cyrus, who rose to prominence after starring on Disney's series "Hannah Montana", then responded with, "is this true?!?!?! I commend Disney for making this step into the light of this generation. They control...so much of what kids think! Life isn't bright sets & wardrobe & kids becoming superstars! This is INSPIRING."
Disney Channel added its first gay characters in a January 26 episode of "Good Luck Charlie". In the said outing, Amy (Leigh-Allyn Baker) and Bob Duncan (Eric Allan Kramer) welcomed Charlie's (Mia Talerico) new friend Taylor and her two moms to their house.
What's interesting is that they didn't treat it like a big deal. It's not even the major plotline of the episode, which instead focused on big sister Teddy (Bridgit Mendler) and her best friend Ivy, as Ivy prepares to head off to college.
Disney Channel said when first announcing the episode in June, "This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors. Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness."
"Good Luck Charlie" will air its next and final episode on February 16.
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?