Starz Orders Gritty Ballet Drama Starring 'Black Swan' Dancer
After pirates, ballerinas are heading to Starz next. The network has ordered a new drama series titled "Flesh and Bone" about a young ballet dancer, who has a distinctly troubled past, as she joins a prestigious ballet company in New York.
The "dark and gritty" show will "unflinchingly explore the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world." It is created and executive produced by Moira Walley-Beckett, who was serving as a writer and producer on AMC's "Breaking Bad".
Starz gave the ballet drama a greenlight after dancer Sarah Hay ("Black Swan") was cast in the lead role of Claire. "From the beginning, we all agreed this project could not go forward unless we found a world class dancer who had the ability to convey the widest range of emotions that Moira has written," says Starz CEO Chris Albrecht. "This is one of the most challenging and dynamic characters I have even seen and am thrilled to say we found our Claire in Ms. Hay."
Walley-Beckett adds, "Finding the perfect Claire has been an almost impossible task. It was truly like looking for a unicorn because the demands of the role are so specific and challenging. I was looking for a beautiful and transcendent ballerina who is not only a brilliant dancer but also a gifted actress, and who also possesses a fierce curiosity and enthusiasm about the brave demands of the work. Sarah Hay embodies the role of Claire just as I dreamt her."
Claire is described as "a beautiful, soulful and deeply emotionally wounded young woman who possesses an innate innocence and fragility while at the same time harboring self-destructive tendencies and a vaulting ambition. She is a transcendent ballerina, capable of reaching the sublime, but her inner torment and aspirations drive her in compelling, unforeseeable ways."
Production on the new series will begin early this year in New York City for a 2015 premiere.
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'
- 'Tomb Raider' Remake Finds Villain in Walton Goggins
- Nicki Minaj Teams Up With Fetty Wap for 'Like a Star', Surprises Fans With New Bouncy Track
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'