Opera Version of 'Brokeback Mountain' to Play in Spain
"Brokeback Mountain" is getting a stage production. Based on Annie Proulx's short story, the doomed love story between two American cowboys is turned into an opera which is scheduled to premiere this coming Tuesday, January 28 in Madrid.
Proulx said she was ecstatic when composer Charles Wuorinen approached her to write the libretto. She believed the stage show "would give room, which the short story did not, and which the film was not particularly interested in doing," to explore the characters involved in the story.
Of his vision to bring the rugged Wyoming setting into the stage, Wuorinen said as quoted by The Associated Press, "It is very beautiful, as the film shows, but it is definitely not sentimental. It is not a romantic landscape. It's a deadly one - it's dangerous."
American tenor Tom Randle will play one of the cowboys, Jack Twist, portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal in the film, while Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch will take on the role of Ennis Del Mar played by the late Heath Ledger in the Ang Lee big-screen adaptation.
The opera is scheduled to run until February 11.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie