Opera Version of 'Brokeback Mountain' to Play in Spain
"Brokeback Mountain" is getting a stage production. Based on Annie Proulx's short story, the doomed love story between two American cowboys is turned into an opera which is scheduled to premiere this coming Tuesday, January 28 in Madrid.
Proulx said she was ecstatic when composer Charles Wuorinen approached her to write the libretto. She believed the stage show "would give room, which the short story did not, and which the film was not particularly interested in doing," to explore the characters involved in the story.
Of his vision to bring the rugged Wyoming setting into the stage, Wuorinen said as quoted by The Associated Press, "It is very beautiful, as the film shows, but it is definitely not sentimental. It is not a romantic landscape. It's a deadly one - it's dangerous."
American tenor Tom Randle will play one of the cowboys, Jack Twist, portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal in the film, while Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch will take on the role of Ennis Del Mar played by the late Heath Ledger in the Ang Lee big-screen adaptation.
The opera is scheduled to run until February 11.
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story