Opera Version of 'Brokeback Mountain' to Play in Spain
"Brokeback Mountain" is getting a stage production. Based on Annie Proulx's short story, the doomed love story between two American cowboys is turned into an opera which is scheduled to premiere this coming Tuesday, January 28 in Madrid.
Proulx said she was ecstatic when composer Charles Wuorinen approached her to write the libretto. She believed the stage show "would give room, which the short story did not, and which the film was not particularly interested in doing," to explore the characters involved in the story.
Of his vision to bring the rugged Wyoming setting into the stage, Wuorinen said as quoted by The Associated Press, "It is very beautiful, as the film shows, but it is definitely not sentimental. It is not a romantic landscape. It's a deadly one - it's dangerous."
American tenor Tom Randle will play one of the cowboys, Jack Twist, portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal in the film, while Canadian bass-baritone Daniel Okulitch will take on the role of Ennis Del Mar played by the late Heath Ledger in the Ang Lee big-screen adaptation.
The opera is scheduled to run until February 11.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked