Elizabeth Banks Confirmed to Direct 'Pitch Perfect 2'
"Pitch Perfect 2" is happening. The sequel to musical comedy starring Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson has officially been announced. Elizabeth Banks who produced the first movie and played a small but memorable role in it will step behind the lens for the follow-up story. It will mark her directorial debut.
"Elizabeth originated the idea for Pitch Perfect and was instrumental in making the first film such a huge success," says Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley. "She brings an enormous amount of energy and experience to everything she works on and we're thrilled that she is making her feature directorial debut on 'Pitch Perfect 2'."
The Hollywood Reporter learns that Kay Cannon, who turned Mickey Rapkin's non-fiction book into a screenplay for the first film, will return to script the upcoming sequel. Kendrick and Wilson are expected to reprise their respective roles as well. Besides directing the film, Banks will once again serve as one of the producers.
Directed by Jason Moore, "Pitch Perfect" performed surprisingly well in 2012. Costing only $17 million to produce, the film grossed over $100 million worldwide. Following a college freshman who reluctantly joins an a cappella group and leads it to the finals, it also went on to win multiple awards including MTV Movie Awards.
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy
- Going Too Far? Halsey Shades Britney Spears, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry
- Are Park Bo Gum and Jang Nara Getting Married?
- Will Ferrell's 'The House' Co-Star Speaks Up About Mariah Carey's Diva Behaviors on Set
- Here's Why Kenya Moore Kept Her Husband's Identity Secret
- Taylor Swift Makes Many Heartbreak Songs for New Album Despite Blooming Romance With Joe Alwyn
- Are They Hooking Up? Amber Rose Spotted Leaving a Club With 21 Savage