Elizabeth Banks Confirmed to Direct 'Pitch Perfect 2'
"Pitch Perfect 2" is happening. The sequel to musical comedy starring Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson has officially been announced. Elizabeth Banks who produced the first movie and played a small but memorable role in it will step behind the lens for the follow-up story. It will mark her directorial debut.
"Elizabeth originated the idea for Pitch Perfect and was instrumental in making the first film such a huge success," says Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley. "She brings an enormous amount of energy and experience to everything she works on and we're thrilled that she is making her feature directorial debut on 'Pitch Perfect 2'."
The Hollywood Reporter learns that Kay Cannon, who turned Mickey Rapkin's non-fiction book into a screenplay for the first film, will return to script the upcoming sequel. Kendrick and Wilson are expected to reprise their respective roles as well. Besides directing the film, Banks will once again serve as one of the producers.
Directed by Jason Moore, "Pitch Perfect" performed surprisingly well in 2012. Costing only $17 million to produce, the film grossed over $100 million worldwide. Following a college freshman who reluctantly joins an a cappella group and leads it to the finals, it also went on to win multiple awards including MTV Movie Awards.
- Megan Fox Steps Out for First Time Since Giving Birth to Her Third Child
- Amber Rose Says Julianne Hough Body Shamed Her With Her 'DWTS' Comment
- 'Wonder Woman' Writer Confirms Diana Prince Is 'Obviously' Bisexual
- Tyga May Have His Mom's Car Repossessed
- Get First Look at 'Outlander' Season 3
- Benedict Cumberbatch May Confirm Doctor Strange's Appearance in 'Thor: Ragnarok'
- Donald Trump Once Body-Shamed Kim Kardashian Too. This Is What He Said About Her
- Lena Dunham and Allison Williams Tearfully Say Goodbye to 'Girls' as Filming Wraps