Susan Boyle Applies for $10-an-Hour Job at Local Shop
Susan Boyle, who has multi-million dollar fortune from singing, reportedly has applied for a minimum wage job at a betting shop near her house. According to U.K.'s The Sun, Boyle inquired about the job at Ladbrokes in Blackburn, West Lothian on Thursday afternoon, January 23.
"Susan Boyle walked into the shop and inquired about the job advertised in our window. We were all in shock," said deputy shop manager David Corr. A customer who was in the shop added, "She explained she was really keen on working there and everyone knows who she is and that she lives nearby. The manager laughed at first. But it was clear she was being serious and they couldn't just dismiss her so gave her all the information."
The customer apparently thought that Boyle wanted to get close to people in the community. "Obviously she doesn't need the money, so I think she saw it as a way of getting out of the house and taking her mind off things," the customer explained. "I have seen her around the town and she can appear a bit lonely. She likes to be with people who know her and will look out for her. You often see her in the shopping center but I have never seen her come into the bookie's."
"She is very down to earth and likes the simple things in life. But it was a totally unreal scene for a superstar multi-millionaire to be at the bookie's asking for a job that pays the minimum wage. I have never seen anything like it," the customer added.
The shop offered 6.31 pound sterling per hour with 16-hour term a week for the customer service assistant job. The pay will rise to 6.45 pound sterling after the training is completed. The 52-year-old singer reportedly also applied for a job at the shop before she got famous on "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009. Boyle declined to comment on the report.
- Photos of Topless Maisie Williams Surface Online
- Time Magazine Receives Backlash After Picking Donald Trump as Person of the Year
- Official First Look at Spidey's Web Wings in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Unveiled
- George and Amal Clooney Are 'Living Separate Lives' and Ready for $300 Million Divorce
- Fergie's 'Double Dutchess' Is Coming in January With 3 Music Videos
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'