Artist of the Week: Bastille
Bastille has been enjoying the sudden burst of success in the recent months, mostly because of their first album "Bad Blood". The record was released in the U.S. last September and has been supported by hit "Pompeii", which managed to storm the charts in the country.
The track is currently at No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song has also been nominated for British Single at the upcoming BRIT awards, set to compete with One Direction's "One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks)", Ellie Goulding's "Burn" and Disclosure's "White Noise" among others.
The band, who has a total of four nominations at one of the biggest music events in the U.K., also performed the track when they made their debut appearance on "Saturday Night Live" on January 25.
Bastille, who recently toured the U.S., has planned to put out their next album. In a new interview with Billboard, the band's Will Farquarson said that he and his bandmate were trying to complete their sophomore album while on the road.
"We just have some ideas, so while we're all back in London we're demoing some things, and they're quite promising," Farquarson said. "We like to try and stay busy, and when you're touring as much as we are we don't want to let the creativity become muted."
"We all love recording. [Lead vocalist Dan Smith] loves to write and we love to get in the studio and do some stuff. So I think it's good whenever we're back in London to make sure we're busy writing new stuff to keep the creative muscles exercised," he added.
He also told Billboard that the band's recording and writing process had evolved during recent sessions. "It's becoming more collaborative," he said. "Initially Dan did it all and we'd kind of go in and do our parts. Now the basis is still Dan's songwriting, but we're all in there from the get-go, just sticking our two cents in there. And a lot of the songs are taking shape in sound check as well. So we're coming from alive perspective because Dan will bring us the songs and we'll jam them and go from there and embellish it as we can."
Bastille is now gearing up for their European tour before returning to the U.S. at the end of March. They're also slated to perform at some festivals, including Coachella.
Bastille Performs "Pompeii" on "SNL":
Bastille Performs "Oblivion" on "SNL":
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Announces Full Cast and Pairings for Season 23
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur