'Whiplash' Wins Big at 2014 Sundance Film Festival
"Whiplash" enjoys a double victory at this year's Sundance Film Festival. The Miles Teller starrer, which follows a young musician struggling to become a top jazz drummer, wins awards for Grand Jury Dramatic and Audience Award U.S. Dramatic.
It marks the second year in a row a film grabbed the top dramatic prizes after "Fruitvale Station" led by Michael B. Jordan did so last year. Besides winning big, "Whiplash" has also been bought by Sony Pictures Classics in the festival's first acquisition deal.
"I remember my first time here was with a short, and the whole reason we made a short was because of my experiences as a drummer," director Damien Chazelle said, before jokingly adding, "No-one wanted to finance the film because no-one wants to make a film about a jazz drummer - surprising."
Last year, Chazelle won the U.S. fiction short film grand jury prize at last year's Sundance for the film's short version.
Other winners include Ben Whishaw's "Lilting" for Cinematography Award World Cinema Dramatic, Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig's "The Skeleton Twins" for Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award U.S. Dramatic, Amy-Jo Albany biopic "Low Down" for Cinematography Award U.S. Dramatic, and satire drama "Dear White People" starring Tyler James Williams and Tessa Thompson for U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award for Breakthrough Talent.
- Grand Jury Dramatic: "Whiplash"
- Grand Jury Documentary: "Rich Hill"
- Directing Award U.S. Dramatic: "Fishing Without Nets"
- Directing Award U.S. Documentary: "The Case Against 8"
- Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award U.S. Dramatic: "The Skeleton Twins"
- Editing Award U.S. Documentary: "Watchers of the Sky"
- Cinematography Award U.S. Dramatic: "Low Down"
- Cinematography Award U.S. Documentary: "E-TEAM"
- U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award for Breakthrough Talent: "Dear White People"
- U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award for Musical Score: "Kumiko, the Treasure Hunter"
- U.S. Documentary Special Jury Award for Use of Animation: "Watchers of the Sky"
- U.S. Documentary Special Jury Award for Intuitive Filmmaking: "The Overnighters"
- Audience Award U.S. Dramatic: "Whiplash"
- Audience Award U.S. Documentary presented by Acura: "Alive Inside"
- Audience Award World Cinema Dramatic: "Difret"
- Audience Award World Cinema Documentary: "The Green Prince"
- Audience Award Best of NEXT: "Imperial Dreams"
- World Cinema Grand Jury Prize Dramatic: "To Kill a Man"
- Directing Award World Cinema Dramatic: "52 Tuesdays"
- Screenwriting Award World Cinema Dramatic: "Blind"
- Cinematography Award World Cinema Dramatic: "Lilting"
- World Cinema Dramatic Special Jury Award for Ensemble Performance: "God Help the Girl"
- World Cinema Grand Jury Prize Documentary: "Return to Homs"
- Directing Award World Cinema Documentary: "20,000 Days on Earth"
- Editing Award World Cinema Documentary: "20,000 Days on Earth"
- Cinematography Award World Cinema Documentary: "Happiness"
- World Cinema Documentary Special Jury Award for Cinematic Bravery: "We Come as Friends"
- Shorts Audience Award: "Chapel Perilous"
- Alfred P. Sloan Feature Film Prize: "I Origins"
- Twitter Users Are Begging Marvel to Give Captain America a Boyfriend
- Amy Schumer Blasts Body Shaming 'Trolls': 'I Think I Look Strong and Healthy'
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary