'Ride Along' Stays Strong at Box Office as 'I, Frankenstein' Flops
"Ride Along", a cop comedy starring Kevin Hart and Ice Cube, reigns domestic box office for a second consecutive weekend. The Universal release adds another $21.2 million, easily claiming the throne though the number is 49% less than last weekend's debut ($48.6 million) which marked the biggest opening for a January release. Costing around $25 million to produce, it is now pushing its domestic gross to $74.5 million.
It's a double victory for Universal as another of its feature films, "Lone Survivor", is unmoved from its last week's position at the second place. The true-story war pic led by Mark Wahlberg collects an estimated $12.6 million, grossing approximately $93.6 million nationally. Directed by Peter Berg, it is expected to move past $100 million soon.
Unfortunately, Lionsgate didn't enjoy the same success this weekend. The studio's latest release, "I, Frankenstein" which is financed by Lakeshore Entertainment, didn't really perform well at the movie chart. The new big-screen take on Mary Shelley's classic character only debuts at the sixth place with an estimated $8.3 million against a reported budget of $65 million.
Based on Kevin Grevioux's graphic novel with Aaron Eckhart on the lead, the 3D action fantasy movie received a B grade from CinemaScore and appealed mainly to male audience (62%). Revolving around the scarred monster caught in the middle of a war between two immortal races, it did slightly better overseas with $13 million.
Open Road's animation "The Nut Job" occupies the third spot by adding another $12.3 million in its second weekend. Disney's "Frozen (2013)" which will get a sing-along version on January 31 follows at No. 4 with an estimated $9 million, and the latest reimagining of Tom Clancy's famous character "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" rounds up the top 5 with approximately $8.8 million.
Outside the top 10, "Gimme Shelter" starts at No. 22. Starring Vanessa Hudgens, Rosario Dawson and Brendan Fraser, the drama which follows a pregnant teen fleeing home finishes with $721,000 in its debut weekend.
- "Ride Along" - $21.2 million
- "Lone Survivor" - $12. 6 million
- "The Nut Job" - $12.3 million
- "Frozen (2013)" - $9 million
- "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" - $8.8 million
- "I, Frankenstein" - $8.3 million
- "American Hustle" - $7.1 million
- "August: Osage County" - $5 million
- "The Wolf of Wall Street" $5 million
- "Devil's Due" - $2.8 million
- 'The Predator' Release Date Pushed Back
- 'Deadpool 2' and 'New Mutants' Get Release Dates
- Video: Kylie Jenner Holding Hands With Travis Scott
- 'X-Men: Dark Phoenix' and Release Date Officially Announced
- Jay-Z Renews Deal With Live Nation
- 'Avatar' Sequels Release Dates Unveiled
- Kourtney Kardashian Goes Undercover as News Reporter and Nobody Recognizes Her
- Carmelo and La La Anthony Put on United Front for Sake of Their Son