'American Idol': Melanie Porras Stands Out in Detroit, Marrialle Sellers Returns With Sob Story
"American Idol" stopped by Detroit in its latest episode that aired January 22. "No city has a beat quite like the Deet," Ryan Seacrest boasted about the singers in the city and indeed many singing hopefuls showed their raw talent and got their chance to shine in Hollywood.
Kery Lynn Roche, a waitress, opened the Wednesday episode, singing twice: one with a guitar and one without. Her cover of "I'd Rather Go Blind" convinced the judges that she deserved a Golden Ticket.
Malaya Watson, who plays the tuba in the marching band, delivered a soulful rendition of Aretha Franklin's "Ain't No Way". "I can't wait to see how you go through the transformation you're about to go through," Jennifer Lopez told the 15-year-old as they sent her to Hollywood.
Melanie Porras came to show her strong voice and would definitely make her father, who put aside his own musical dreams to raise her, proud. Singing Little Willie John's "Fever" with a guitar and an a capella version of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive", she earned praises from the judges. "You already have the seeds," Harry Connick Jr. gushed.
J.Lo loved some "whistley thing" in the back of Jade Lathan's voice when he sang Amy Winehouse's "You Know I'm No Good". David Oliver Willis, who got cut during the Las Vegas round last season, returned this year and earned the nods again from the judges.
Another returning contestant Brandy Neelly, Bryan Watt whom Harry called Superman, and Maurice Townsend who sang John Legend's "So High" were among other singers who passed the auditions.
Meanwhile, Marrialle Sellars who had earned her Golden Ticket in last week's episode returned to close out the Wednesday outing. "Idol" featured her sad story of how she lost her father in 2008, three days after Christmas. Before he died, he wrote his daughters a letter telling them to use everything he taught them about music.
She then sang Bruno Mars' "Grenade" for the judges. "You are going to be a nightmare for the other contestants in this competition," Harry told the 17-year-old from Indiana.
More American Idol News
- 'True Blood' Alum Stephen Moyer Lands Lead Role on FOX's 'X-Men' Series Pilot
- Mariah Carey's Boobs Almost Spill Out of Her Plunging Dress at Vanity Fair's Oscars Party
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd Go for a Date Night in Paris as Bella Hadid Parties Just Blocks Away
- Russell Crowe May Portray Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Keyshia Cole Punishes Cheating Boyfriend in 'You' Music Video Ft. Remy Ma and French Montana
- Vera Farmiga Set to Star as Millie Bobby Brown's On-Screen Mother in 'Godzilla 2'
- Lorde Teases Upcoming Music With Mysterious Ad
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle