Sherri Shepherd Apologizes for Anti-Gay Remarks, Says Interview Was Misrepresented
Sherri Shepherd said she doesn't usually apologize for the words that have come out of her lips but this time, she felt the need. On the Tuesday, January 21 episode of "The View", the 46-year-old apologized to the people she may have offended for her anti-gay remarks in an interview with Alicia Menendez.
"Working on a talk show that's centered in the opinion business, there's been several things that I've shared in the press that have upset people, and typically I don't respond to the criticism," Shepherd said. "However, I'd like to say I'm truly sorry to anyone I've offended with the viewpoints I expressed on Alicia Menendez Tonight on the Fusion network."
She continued, "My interview was misrepresented, and only a portion of my comments were used as a headline to give the impression that I was condemning members of the LGBT community living in their own truth. In the interview, I express I was raised as a child to have a certain set of beliefs, but my beliefs have evolved significantly as my own personal relationship with Christ has increased."
In the interview with Menendez, Shepherd was asked what she thought of the public's biggest misconception of her. She answered, "I think people don't know my heart. I think people feel I'm very judgmental. I think people feel I'm very homophobic. If they knew me, and knew my heart...If you come to me respectfully and ask me about my beliefs, I'll talk to you about anything." She also talked about growing up as a Christian and believing that homosexuality is a sin.
In her apology Shepherd added, "I believe that love is the grace of all things and I have no desire to judge anybody by who they are. I'm a person of compassion and anyone who knows me knows that I love, I accept, I embrace everybody who has love in their hearts. So I love you."
- Chris Evans' Steve Rogers Is No Longer Captain America in MCU, Russo Brothers Confirm
- 'Blade Runner 2' Set Collapses, Killing Construction Worker
- Scott Eastwood Makes Emotional Phone Call to Father of His Ex Who Died in Car Crash
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016