Sherri Shepherd Apologizes for Anti-Gay Remarks, Says Interview Was Misrepresented
Sherri Shepherd said she doesn't usually apologize for the words that have come out of her lips but this time, she felt the need. On the Tuesday, January 21 episode of "The View", the 46-year-old apologized to the people she may have offended for her anti-gay remarks in an interview with Alicia Menendez.
"Working on a talk show that's centered in the opinion business, there's been several things that I've shared in the press that have upset people, and typically I don't respond to the criticism," Shepherd said. "However, I'd like to say I'm truly sorry to anyone I've offended with the viewpoints I expressed on Alicia Menendez Tonight on the Fusion network."
She continued, "My interview was misrepresented, and only a portion of my comments were used as a headline to give the impression that I was condemning members of the LGBT community living in their own truth. In the interview, I express I was raised as a child to have a certain set of beliefs, but my beliefs have evolved significantly as my own personal relationship with Christ has increased."
In the interview with Menendez, Shepherd was asked what she thought of the public's biggest misconception of her. She answered, "I think people don't know my heart. I think people feel I'm very judgmental. I think people feel I'm very homophobic. If they knew me, and knew my heart...If you come to me respectfully and ask me about my beliefs, I'll talk to you about anything." She also talked about growing up as a Christian and believing that homosexuality is a sin.
In her apology Shepherd added, "I believe that love is the grace of all things and I have no desire to judge anybody by who they are. I'm a person of compassion and anyone who knows me knows that I love, I accept, I embrace everybody who has love in their hearts. So I love you."
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'