Amazon Snags Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Barbarella' Series
Nicolas Winding Refn's "Barbarella" has found its home at Amazon. The online retailer nabs the project, which has been in development at Gaumont International Television, as its potential new original series.
Amazon Studios is currently looking for a showrunner in anticipation of a pilot pickup, so Deadline reports. "Valhalla Rising" and "Drive" helmer Winding Refn executive produces the potential series along with Martha De Laurentiis and is attached to direct. Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are hired to pen the pilot script.
"Barbarella" is based on the comic book character created by Jean-Claude Forest. The fictional heroine was portrayed by Jane Fonda in a 1968 sci-fi movie, which was directed by Fonda's then-husband Roger Vadim. The movie spawned a musical premiered in Vienna, Austria in 2004, with Nina Proll in the title role.
Should Amazon move forward with "Barbarella", it will join comedies "Alpha House" and "Betas" which were recently launched as the company's first original series.
- Super Junior's Kyuhyun Seen for the First Time Since Military Enlistment - See the Pic
- Kourtney Kardashian Bares Her Bum in Thong Bikini - See the Racy Pic
- Lily Collins Shares Cute Throwback Pic and Fans Just Can't Handle It
- 'America's Got Talent' Season 12 First Look: Tyra Banks Makes Debut as New Host
- PSY Proves He Hasn't Changed at All as He Shares Funny Childhood Photo
- Mariah Carey Flaunts Ample Cleavage as She Cuddles Up to Bryan Tanaka
- Paris Hilton Gushes Over Romance With Chris Zylka: 'I'm in a Serious Relationship'
- 'The Emoji Movie' Defeats 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' in Social Media Buzz