Amazon Snags Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Barbarella' Series
Nicolas Winding Refn's "Barbarella" has found its home at Amazon. The online retailer nabs the project, which has been in development at Gaumont International Television, as its potential new original series.
Amazon Studios is currently looking for a showrunner in anticipation of a pilot pickup, so Deadline reports. "Valhalla Rising" and "Drive" helmer Winding Refn executive produces the potential series along with Martha De Laurentiis and is attached to direct. Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are hired to pen the pilot script.
"Barbarella" is based on the comic book character created by Jean-Claude Forest. The fictional heroine was portrayed by Jane Fonda in a 1968 sci-fi movie, which was directed by Fonda's then-husband Roger Vadim. The movie spawned a musical premiered in Vienna, Austria in 2004, with Nina Proll in the title role.
Should Amazon move forward with "Barbarella", it will join comedies "Alpha House" and "Betas" which were recently launched as the company's first original series.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival