Amazon Snags Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Barbarella' Series
Nicolas Winding Refn's "Barbarella" has found its home at Amazon. The online retailer nabs the project, which has been in development at Gaumont International Television, as its potential new original series.
Amazon Studios is currently looking for a showrunner in anticipation of a pilot pickup, so Deadline reports. "Valhalla Rising" and "Drive" helmer Winding Refn executive produces the potential series along with Martha De Laurentiis and is attached to direct. Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are hired to pen the pilot script.
"Barbarella" is based on the comic book character created by Jean-Claude Forest. The fictional heroine was portrayed by Jane Fonda in a 1968 sci-fi movie, which was directed by Fonda's then-husband Roger Vadim. The movie spawned a musical premiered in Vienna, Austria in 2004, with Nina Proll in the title role.
Should Amazon move forward with "Barbarella", it will join comedies "Alpha House" and "Betas" which were recently launched as the company's first original series.
- Song Joong Ki's 'Battleship Island' Co-Star Spills Detail of His Wedding Plan to Song Hye Kyo
- Fans Speculate Infinite's Woohyun Is Involved in Sexual Assault Case
- Venus Williams Claims Fatal Car Crash Victim Didn't Wear Seat Belt
- Chadwick Boseman Hunts Down His Sister's Killer in Intense Trailer for 'Message from the King'
- Usher Cleans His Star and Pushes a Car With James Corden in 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Kate Hudson Shaves Her Head for New Musical Project With Sia
- O.J. Simpson and Kato Kaelin May Live Together for New Reality Show
- Khloe Kardashian Accused of Photoshopping Her Workout Pic. See It Yourself!