Amazon Snags Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Barbarella' Series
Nicolas Winding Refn's "Barbarella" has found its home at Amazon. The online retailer nabs the project, which has been in development at Gaumont International Television, as its potential new original series.
Amazon Studios is currently looking for a showrunner in anticipation of a pilot pickup, so Deadline reports. "Valhalla Rising" and "Drive" helmer Winding Refn executive produces the potential series along with Martha De Laurentiis and is attached to direct. Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are hired to pen the pilot script.
"Barbarella" is based on the comic book character created by Jean-Claude Forest. The fictional heroine was portrayed by Jane Fonda in a 1968 sci-fi movie, which was directed by Fonda's then-husband Roger Vadim. The movie spawned a musical premiered in Vienna, Austria in 2004, with Nina Proll in the title role.
Should Amazon move forward with "Barbarella", it will join comedies "Alpha House" and "Betas" which were recently launched as the company's first original series.
- 'The Walking Dead' Was Supposed to End in Alexandria, but It Has Changed
- Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Movie Casts Mackenzie Foy as Clara
- Video: Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift While Crashing Drake's Concert
- Ben Affleck Risks His Life in New 'The Accountant' Trailer
- An Uber Driver Failing to Recognize Lorde Brags About Another Celebrity Passenger
- Scott Disick and Khloe Kardashian Make Fun of Dating Rumors While Posing for a Selfie
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia