Amazon Snags Nicolas Winding Refn's 'Barbarella' Series
Nicolas Winding Refn's "Barbarella" has found its home at Amazon. The online retailer nabs the project, which has been in development at Gaumont International Television, as its potential new original series.
Amazon Studios is currently looking for a showrunner in anticipation of a pilot pickup, so Deadline reports. "Valhalla Rising" and "Drive" helmer Winding Refn executive produces the potential series along with Martha De Laurentiis and is attached to direct. Neal Purvis and Robert Wade are hired to pen the pilot script.
"Barbarella" is based on the comic book character created by Jean-Claude Forest. The fictional heroine was portrayed by Jane Fonda in a 1968 sci-fi movie, which was directed by Fonda's then-husband Roger Vadim. The movie spawned a musical premiered in Vienna, Austria in 2004, with Nina Proll in the title role.
Should Amazon move forward with "Barbarella", it will join comedies "Alpha House" and "Betas" which were recently launched as the company's first original series.
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Gets Striptease From Mariah Carey's Dancer on Vegas Stage
- Aziz Ansari Puts Donald Trump on Blast in Scathing Op-Ed Over Anti-Muslim Remarks
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'